Malt vinegar

Graham & Brenda

I never found it whilst I lived there. There was never anything I found that was the same. I do know a french lady who brings it back from England when she visits.

I never found that I 'needed' it, so curious, why malt vinegar, what exactly do you use it for?

I cannot remember the last time I had pilchards, I know OH had sardines on toast about five odd years ago, so not part of our

regular diet.

Yes, I agree that malt vinegar is good, but as with long life milk, I adjusted to different tastes.

Also when we moved to France there were no choices, no british food at all where I lived intially, it was quite a big city.  I bought what was available in the shops, and made a lot of stuff from scratch which I had never done before. But not malt vinegar.

Does this live link help:

I would imagine that you have at least one neighbour with a mere de vinaigre. I was often offered one, but never felt the need to have one.

Well, if you end up making good malt vinegar, and in quantity, you could offer it to your french friends and neighbours.

As I said, we know a french lady who loves the stuff, so some do, in fact some french people even put vinegar on their chips.

And frankly IF I have no other vinegar in the house, I use it in my vinaigrette sauces,  it changes the taste a little, but still very very nice on salads.