Flat bed 3 in 1 = microwave grill and oven

idun

I don't have one, our microwave is the traditional style.  However, I've used a few in vacation rentals over the years.  I never really cared for them, but perhaps some of the newer models are better.

My complaint was/is when using the 'bake' selection, nothing ever browned.  It did cook, but never browned.  Like a piece of chicken with skin; the skin never browned or got crunchy.  I never tried anything like cookies or cakes.  Not sure how well that would work.

Should I change my name to La Grosse Idun, because that is what Ken apparently insinuates, so yes, I am a joint girl........... and strictly FOOD!

Do you know I am fast approaching 70 and I have no idea what any sort of whacky baccy smells like. I find incidentally, that tobacco in general smells revolting, with the exception of Romeo y Juilieta Churchills, which actually smell really nice, but they are not whacky baccy, that I do know.

We have had 3 in one microwave ovens since they first came out.

I do not know how the initial one worked, it was magic. You could put in a cake or a joint, press go and it would sense it and cook it to perfection. It was very expensive and since that one, have not seen its like.

We currently have the 3 in one from Lidl. Microwaves like a microwave, cooks like a normal fan oven (only up to 200C) and grills, but not always like a grill. It has a normal top grill that the dish circulates under, but it also has a bottom grill under the steel base plate, good for finishing off oven chips. You can use them individually or both at the same time.

I don't use the combination much, as has been said, most meats don't take well to microwaves.

I hate meals being served on cold plates. 2 mins in a microwave and your plates are ready to be served on. Worth it just for that!!

You have to learn to use it, but would not be without one.

[quote user="Lehaut"]  .................................  

I hate meals being served on cold plates. 2 mins in a microwave and your plates are ready to be served on. Worth it just for that!!

You have to learn to use it, but would not be without one.[/quote]

Take care if you have heavy or coloured plates.

We also use the microwave oven to heat plates, but only using the grill function, swapping top for bottom after 2 minutes, then another 2 minutes.

My wife accidentally heated two blue Denby stoneware dinner plates recently, but didn't select "grill", so they were heated by the default 700 Watt microwave setting.

The top plate broke right across with a loud bang.

Unfortunately they were almost heirlooms, my wife having saved up to buy a large set piece by piece when she worked in London in the 1960's, and are probably irreplaceable.

She now usually heats plates in the normal oven on a low setting.

Interesting, I have looked at a panasonic one, which is £234. I may give it a try. A new microwave would be about £40 for the cheapest, so why not.

Re heating plates, I have never dared put a plate into the micro wave to heat it up on it's own, I always put a few tablespoons of water on first.

Shall give that whirl.

[quote user="Loiseau"]I have been heating my plates in my (very basic) microwave for years. One minute on High. Perfect.[/quote]

Fine if your plates are suitable for microwave use - sometimes marked as so.

Not fine for all plates, especially heavy or coloured ones.

idun wrote the following post at 03 Mar 2021 13:37:

Re heating plates, I have never dared put a plate into the micro wave to heat it up on it's own, I always put a few tablespoons of water on first.

I would continue with the added water .. that is what is recommended to do.

From the Denby website ..

Denby can be safely used for cooking food in a microwave (it is not recommended that the microwave is used for warming plates), oven and for use in the fridge, freezer and dishwasher (except for coloured lustre glass).

Which seems to assume the plates will have smthg on them whilst they are in the MW.

When looking on Ebay for replacement Denby plates I noticed that they are now made in China, and are marked on the bottom as being suitable for use in microwave ovens.

I don't think it likely this applies to our 1960's Denby ware.

I have noticed that other heavy and coloured ceramic pottery also gets extremely hot in the microwave oven, so we now only use cheap white crockery or glass plates when reheating food.

Edit: And the grill function or the regular oven for heating plates.

I heat all plates, serving dishes, etc in the micro.  For dinner plates 1min 40 sec at 900 setting.  I only have porcelaine plates (good reason for it but this is not the place to talk about that) and mugs, cups, all sorts.

Can't put anything in with even a slight metal (good or silver, whatever metal) rim or maker's mark on the bottom of the plate.

Otherwise, glass, plastic absolutely fine and have done it for ever.  Beats putting them in the oven when they get too hot and beats heating them in hot water in the sink because that takes forever and you will need to dry them before use.

Sometimes I think I should write a guide to the lazy person's kitchen practices!