can you freeze a cake with buttercream filling and topping?

mint

Today I plan to make a large chocolate cake.  I would like to use buttercream to fill and top it.  Will I be able to freeze it all ready made like that?

Thought we might eat half of it over the next couple of days and freeze the rest.  So is it better to cut the cake in half and fill the half we will eat and freeze the rest unadorned?

My neighbours are away so there will be no one to help us finish it and I really, really don't think we should scoff a large cake on our own[:-))]

I have to say that I have tried this and didn't like the results.  Defrosted cake/frosting was mushy.  What I do to avoid that is not frost the entire cake. 

If it is a layer cake, I will frost half the middle and the outside of that same side (does this make sense?).  I will then cut the cake and freeze the two pieces that were not frosted to frost when I decide to take them out of the freezer (with freshly made frosting).

I prefer this to the results I got when freezing the frosted cake.

I do the same thing with muffins and cupcakes.  If I know I am making a dozen and will not be able to eat them before they go off.  I bake them, freeze half (or how ever many you like) and make a bowl of butter cream frosting to keep in a container in the fridge. 

This way those who like their muffin or cupcake with no frosting can enjoy that while those who want the frosting simply take it out of the fridge and place as little or as much of it as they like before they eat it.

Thank you.  Yes, pomme, I found that link AFTER I posted my question.  So I have done that.  It's now in the freezer and will take it out later and wrap it up and put it in again.

Lori, I thought of doing it your way but I thought I would try freezing as described in pomme's post.  It will only be us eating this one so it's not too important.

Thanks both for your replies[:D]   

Pomme, I have come back to tell you that I defrosted a slab of cake today and it was perfect.  Cake just like before freezing, buttercream in place, taste just as good[:D]

Lori, I am not completely sure what you mean by frosting.  Do you mean like the French word "nappe"?  Do you mean a sugar and water based icing?  My topping was made with butter and icing sugar with a drop of milk to thin it slightly.  Don't know if there would be the same result for all sorts of topping?

Frosting is another American term for icing.

My buttercream uses the same ingredients as yours.  Sometimes I will add some vanilla.  Other times I will add chocolate powder to make a chocolate butter cream frosting.

I also like the recipe that uses equal amounts of butter and cream cheese with the powdered sugar and touch of cream.

Perhaps I will try freezing the frosted cake again to see if I might have better results.

Lori, you have to freeze it exactly as explained in pomme's link.  Freeze the cake uncovered for about an hour or until frozen.  Then take it out and wrap it in several layers of cling film or other coverings.  I then put my cake in a ziplock freezer bag.

Didn't bother with leaving it in the fridge to thaw slowly, just unwrapped it and thawed at room temperature.

PS  I plan to make a large carrot cake soon and will do the cream cheese FROSTING ([:D]) you have mentioned.

[quote user="mint"]
PS  I plan to make a large carrot cake soon and will do the cream cheese FROSTING ([:D]) you have mentioned.

[/quote]

My absolute favorite cake !!!  Deadly as I'll eat the entire thing.

I'll follow the freezing directions next time.