"My Good Life In France"

Théière

I suppose I could read an article about such a move, but a book, nah!!

I approve of just doing things. I have all my adult life really. Still do, when my choices won't have an adverse affect on my immediate family.

Dreams, well, I can dream, in fact I dream a lot, but not about moving to a country or a specific house, I don't get ' falling in love' with an inanimate object. Dreams can be many things can't they? Unobtainable, or just plain silly. Goals or taking an specific decision are surely different??!

For me, when I read for pleasure it is just that, the pleasure of reading. Not to learn anything or discover facts. The most important thing is that the author has a style that appeals to me, with quirky insights, humour and a way with words. It's the difference between looking at a snapshot and looking at a painting. A book that's all about telling a story or passing on facts doesn't do it for me, I don't really give a stuff about the facts, what I like is when a writer can put an original twist on quite ordinary things and make me see things in a way I hadn't thought about before. Or alternatively, sheer fantasy and make believe. I suppose reading is a form of escapism.

[quote user="mint"][quote user="NormanH"]I prefer to live mine rather than reading about other people's

[/quote]

Me too[:D]

In fact, it's fair to say that I avoid this genre of book on the basis that they are life-diminishing.

[/quote]

What about the schadenfreude aspect of having a jolly good laugh with the author?

I would need to really bond with the author to care enough about her antics to get through a whole book, unless she has a wonderfully entertaining way of telling a tale, or unless the experiences themselves really were extraordinary.

Exactly the same would apply if she sat next to me in a pub and started telling me the story of how she'd ended up in France.

Otherwise it's too much like reality TV and I never "got" that either.

OK book finished, not another year in ......... Or any tradesmen stories. Not a lament of how it went wrong. Actually a rather positive personal story with some poignant moments.

Not too far away from you Chancer, I have customers not far so I reckon I have driven right through their village.

• 2 months later...
I just put Lady Fortescue aside after (almost) two chapters.

I might have enjoyed it in about 1960 for its originality, but now, with its tales of likeable, subservient and colourful but incompetent natives, it has been spoilt by seeming to be the template for so many future offers.