info needed on giving birth in France

le shed

Dear all,

I am in need of some info.... the background,

I am moving to france in june with my pregnant wife (due mid sept) and son. I will be UK paid on an E101 and with E106 (NI in UK). I expect to join a mutuelle on arrival here in Grenoble. The first birth was not a great experience so we are a bit worried about the next one. Due to our current lack of french (we are going to have lessons on arrival) and knowledge of the french health system and maternity care our first option is to go back to the UK for the birth. That is a pain though, it means me working in france and my wife going back 4 weeks before due date and staying 3 weeks after the due date. This is a lot of time appart for us (I will go for the birth!) and also requires a lenghty stay for my wife at her parents, not something she is keen on.

Please can anyone give any advice or directions to info on the following matters,

- how we might stand coverage wise in the health system in france having only been here a few months and on a 106.

- would my wife be covered for full care given us paying in UK NI.

- Is language going to be a big barrier or would finding an english speaking obst a plan.

- Anyone know an English speaking one in the Lyon/Grenoble area.

- How does birthing in france work, if you have a gynae/obst, are they at the birth?

- are we stupid to consider going back to the UK?

Sorry for list of questions, any info no matter how small will be of use to help decision making.

Regards

L

Hello,   I read your post with interest, and yes, it is a shame to be apart at the end of the pregnancy, and I hope you could make it in time to be there with your wife  for the birth ..

But of course I understand...

In a public hospital , midwives  help you give birth,  the gyno is called just in case of a problem.

In a private clinic, you have your own gyn ( he works in the clinic) who is there for the birth.

In the vast majority of cases women get a epidural, unless they prefer to do without.

As for the health system coverage, English posters will know better than I do..  

Thanks for the reply Frenchie,

ok, some aditional info :)

This birth will be a Caesarian so going back on time to the Uk should be reasonably planned (1 week before predicted due date). Given this how would this be organised in france? If it is not private would the gyn organise this with the hospital?

Regards

L

As French residents, you cannot go back to the UK for the birth, unless you get agreement from the French and the UK autorities in advance.  Your EHIC will cover you in emergencies, but not for something so obviously predictable as a birth.  You can though, ask the French authorities if they will accept the charges from a UK hospital. In your shoes, I would speak to both your CPAM and the UK hospital you wish to use and explain the situation because nowadays, the NHS is obliged to charge non residents for medical care.  Many get away with it but this is being clamped down upon more and more following a recent instruction document on this subject which has been circulated to all the UK NHS trusts.

Thanks cooperlola,

this is looking a bit sticky. What do I need to register with the CPAM as I am not in france yet (16th June). How long does it take to be covered?

I would hate to come here and not be covered for a while by anyone!.

EDIT : I just spoke to the centre for non-residents in UK and they say that my E106 should allow for health care in France and UK. So thats good.

L.

[quote user="le shed"]
EDIT : I just spoke to the centre for non-residents in UK and they say that my E106 should allow for health care in France and UK. So thats good.

L.
[/quote]That's good to know.   But if I were you, I'd get them to confirm that in writing!  You can register with your local health office (CPAM) on the day you arrive in France so long as you have an address, afaik.  You may not have the required utility bills etc but if you can produce a rental agreement or sale document you should be OK.  The local offices vary but in my own experience can be very helpful and I'm sure a pregnancy will be pretty obvious to them.  Whatever happens, your E106 is valid from the moment you arrive so if all else fails you can pay up and reclaim the costs once in the system - although this could be costly in the short term.

I would also try to register at your mairie as soon as you possibly can on arrival here.  There is supposed to be a new formal registration document in the offing but it still has not put in an appearance!  However, if you can persuade them to write you even an informal - but signed - document to the effect that you are residents in your commune, it could well help you prove to the health authorities, the true formal date of your taking up residence.  But the truth is that things have changed so much on the residency and health front in recent months that there's a lot of "suck it and see" going on at present!  Others may know differently of course....

just another thought- how is she planning to come back to the uk?  as she will be quite late into her pregnancy airlines and ferries may want  a letter from doctor stating that it is an uncomplicated pregnancy and that she is fit to travel that late.  she may also need one from her doctor for the return journey if she has had a caesarian!

i have friends in the same situation whose baby is also due in sept and they are trying to work out the best way of doing things as she also doesn't want to have to stay with parents for up to 8 weeks1

Good luck

Anj

Anj, thanks for the time to reply,

We are hoping that if its a UK birth then we will fly back at the latest possible time which I think is 35/6 weeks which ties into the dates the docs want us back.

Just last night I spoke to a colleague who lived here in Grenoble and his wife may have more info on birthing in france. so we will get together in a week or 2 to discuss.

We are also hoping if we go back that my wife could rturn to france in 3-4 weeks after, assuming fingers crossed nout goes wrong. currently there are no complications just the need for a caesarian.

Regards L.

hi there le shed

don't know if i can be of any help, but i'll give you a bit of background, and just shout if you think i can answer any questions!

we're expecting our first littleone in august. i'm still covered by E106 until next jan. we're not linked to a mutuelle. my french is pretty bad.... however, my knowledge of pregnancy wording is now pretty good! we were amazed at being able to find an english speaking midwife and an obst where we live (couserans in the ariege - i think the rough guide call it the sleepiest part of the sleepiest department in france!), so i don't think you'll have a prob.

one thing you may need to find out is what happens as you presumably haven't filled out a 'déclaration de grossesse' form here and send it to CPAM and CAF (they say it needs to be done before the 14th week of pregnancy)?....i may well be very wrong here, but i think that basically the reason CPAM need the form is to note down that from the 5th month of pregnancy all care is free up until 12 (i think) days after the birth, and that CAF need the form to know of the impending birth and so (hopefully) send you a nice big amount of money in the 7th month of preggie and allowances after the birth.

if you do decide to come over, take your E106 to CPAM asap to get registered with the french system. it took about 8 weeks for them to send us an attestation with our social security numbers on, and although it doesn't seem to matter (because we can show the attestation when needed), we still haven't received our actual carte vitales yet!

squidge x

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Squidge,

Many thanks for teh reply and greaqt info, and appologies for teh delayed response. I now know my E101 and E106 are winging their way to me.

I will make it my priority to locate the CPAM on arrival and trya nd sort all health care for my wife. 

Regards

L.