Vital vocab!!

Mark

Could someone tell me the French for "My partner's waters have broken, shall we come to the hospital", please?!  Actually, should be ok with the second bit, but I don't remember my GCSE covering broken waters.

This is just prep, you understand, not an emergency.

Thanks.

Mark - the answer will be yes, IMHO when the waters break you should go to the hospital, (let them know you are coming though ) it happened to me twice, neither time was there any other  sign of labour, but once the waters have broken there is a slightly increased risk of infection and there is no going back !

I suppose it's possible it could be different in France, someone may know ?

Good Luck

A friend of mine who is a midwife in Australia told me once that the words " she wants to push! " are enough to make maternity staff spring into action anywhere; my OH had to scream those words down the mobile during our race to hospital three years ago - and we were 35 km's from the clinic! we made it by 15 minutes...and the lift was out of order...my 'walk' up those two flights of stairs was straight out of  the 'ministry of silly walks' - where was the OH meanwhile...? fishing his camera gear out of the car boot[:-))]

[quote user="Clair"]La poche (des eaux) s'est rompue!

See here (in French): http://sante-medecine.commentcamarche.net/accouchement/03_l-accouchement.php3

[/quote]

I just stood there in the clinics reception swishing and swoshing all over the place saying "J'ai perdu mes eaux" (I've lost my waters).  Apparently the cleaners were delighted the next day as it's better than any cleaning product on the market!  

My French mother-in-law however was a bit miffed as it was she who 'delivered' me to the clinic in her 1 day old Peugeot 206[:D][:P]

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the prep - my experience is that if the waters break they like the mum to be to go to the hospital within 3 hours.  so you have time to have a quick shower, wash hair, have some breakfast and pack hubby a pic-nic!  All very essential!  Hubby meanwhile, managed 2 hours extra sleep (didn't wake him up to tell him) then ran round, somewhat demented and panicing, looking for towels to put on the van seat!  (Whether to protect his seat or my bum, I'm not quite sure)

Cheers

[quote user="Clair"]Did you lose it in her brand new car then?[:-))]
[/quote]

Oh yeah - definately[:D]

I woke up fed the cats - my waters broke!  Husband nowhere to be found (anti-mobile phone at the time) so 'watered'  my kitchen and living-room floor.  Called my MIL who was the only person around to take me to the clinic 40 mins. from my house - how fortunate is that?[:)] Thought about taking a shower while I waited for her to come and fetch me - then thought better.  Why do we want to do that?

Drenched her brand new car sitting with my lower body suspended between the car seat and the floor for 35 kms (speed bumps 'n' all), arrived at the clinic and continued to 'flow' up the steps and into the reception area moving onto my gynaecologists office for a quick check-up.  Carried on doing a great immitation of Niagra Falls as I sat in the waiting room because there were no rooms available. 

Twenty nine hours later - my little angel arrived.  [kiss]

Did I mention that my daughter loves swimming?[:)]

My waters broke in the bath - I was idly thinking 'it looks like someone is poaching eggs in this water' when I realized what had happened. The bath was pre-obstetrician appointment anyway so my husband was at home luckily, I remember trying to get my 3 year old daughter to 'get Daddy' and her not wanting to..........[Www]

My first Labour was 20 hours+ , the baby was breech and it was a 'normal' delivery (these days it usually a cesarian), epidural, kept in bed most of the time. Boy did I learn from that, 3 hours for the next one, I stayed on my feet as much as possible and let gravity help.[:)]

Hi all, just to say all went well - Henry, 3.25 kilos, was born at 5.20ish Sunday afternoon, all well.  Squidge's hippy credentials took something of a battering though, as she ended up filled with more drugs than a Rolling Stone, after stating in bold on her birth plan that she in no way wanted any artificial painkilling assistance.  Perhaps I just put the TENS machine pads in the wrong places on her back - not sure.

need sleep now zzzzzz.....

[:)]

[quote user="Mark"]

Hi all, just to say all went well - Henry, 3.25 kilos, was born at 5.20ish Sunday afternoon, all well.  Squidge's hippy credentials took something of a battering though, as she ended up filled with more drugs than a Rolling Stone, after stating in bold on her birth plan that she in no way wanted any artificial painkilling assistance.  Perhaps I just put the TENS machine pads in the wrong places on her back - not sure.

need sleep now zzzzzz.....

[:)]

[/quote]

Tell her not to feel bad about it, Mark.  They don't call it labour for nothing, and until you've actually been through it you can't predict how much it will hurt for you.  Important thing is she has a fine healthy baby and they're both OK.

V.

Yes many congrats and I hope all are doing well.

Ladies, since we are comparing labour times I thought I would just mention the times for my 2 great lumps to be delivered from OH saying 'Ooo I think that was a twinge' to smack on the bum and 'WAAAAHHHHH' (err baby that is, not OH)

No. 1 Son   1 hour 24 minutes

No. 2 Son   1 hour 40 minutes

Something about 'shelling peas' comes to mind    [Www]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

No. 1 Son   1 hour 24 minutes

No. 2 Son   1 hour 40 minutes

Something about 'shelling peas' comes to mind    [Www]

[/quote]

My friend in the UK had to have her baby in the car, in the car park of the maternity hospital as she had started to deliver as her husband frantically drove to hospital!!! [:-))] She was told that she should go for a home delivery if she had any more!!! [:D]