Colic

the wee p

Hi, my son had very Bad colic and truned out to be lactose inthollerant, but a fantastic, product called 'Coleif' drops, added into the bottle of milk, helps no end. It breaks down the lactose in the milk, which is what is thought to cause Colic. Don't know if you can get it here.  Perhaps try mail order or ask a friend to send it over from the UK.  Can be bought in boots and even Tesco pharmacy.  Infacol is another one, you should be able to get this here in France or 'Gripe Water'.

Hi, my son had colic... it was called 3 month colic then and he had it from a couple of weeks old until he was about 5 months (I think).  He did have gripe water but not when he was very tiny... cant remember what age you can use it from.  It was 10 years ago so things may have changed.  I also found giving him his feed earlier helped as he was a bit of a gulper... so if dinner came early he didn't gulp so much and it helped. 

he also liked having his back rubbed... he would lay on my lap in his tummy and i would rub his back... as he got older as a toddler he would still wander over, pull his top up and lay over my lap waiting for his backrub... at 10, when he's tired he still likes to sit beside me on the sofa and get me to tickle his back... although I find it a bit tedious now!

the colic was a really dreaful time as he was clearly very very distressed and I can still remember how helpless I felt... hope your friend finds and answer

we  had an cranial ostepath and it really helped ,he cried for the first 3 months before we had the treatment , i dont know if they have this in france , we tried everthing to stop him crying , he is 5 mois now and alot better

One of my boys used to get terrible colic as a babe and this is what we did (as advised by ..... I can't remember now)

Anyway, lay the babe face down on your forearm, bum towards your elbow and your hand palm upwards supporting head and upper chest.  The babes arms and legs should hang down so the babe is sort of draped along your arm.  Optional gentle rubbing of back and soothing noises may be made.

For us it worked almost instantly, at the very least it's worth a try as it can do no harm.

BTW, I always performed this duty as my arm/hands are much larger than OHs   

Hi

I did exactly the same thing Pierre with my son, it was the only way to stop him howling every evening from 5 until 8.  It does stop around 3 months, hence the name I guess!  Interesting that we are all saying 'he' I did read somewhere it as usually a male child problem, dont know why that would be??  I also used tried all the products mentiond iwth varying degrees of success.

Panda

[quote user="rodie"]we  had an cranial ostepath and it really helped ,he cried for the first 3 months before we had the treatment , i dont know if they have this in france , we tried everthing to stop him crying , he is 5 mois now and alot better[/quote]

Oh Rodie... My OH says how his eldest daughter cried for the first year and nothing helped until she had cranial massage... it worked too... not sure if her problem was colic but it was brilliant and transformed everyone's life! 

• 1 month later...
Hello, I was just reading this and wanted to say that both my children had 2 cranial treatments, here in France - 1 at around 6 weeks (I think?) and the other at 6 months. The first didn't have colic, but was a bit windy - anyway; I still think the treatment helped them to very calm and non-fussy babies. I can recommend a doctor south of Limoges in 87.