Mandatory Pregnancy Checkups

John1

Hi,

We have just learnt that my wife is pregnant. We are in a bit of a complicated situation in that we currently live half time in France and half time abroad outside the EU (I am european and she has a carte de residence). We have decided that we would like to have the baby in France but I notice that for us to get the full benefits (child birth payments, coverage for health insurance, etc) we need to attend mandatory appointments. We have scheduled the first (12 week) checkup, which involves a flight back especially for it, but is it necessary to perform all other checkups in France? We obviously will be doing all the needed checkups but it would be good not to have to come back specifically for them...

Perhaps I am getting confused but are the medical expenses only covered by my carte vitale if we have all the checkups (not just the first mandatory one)?

Any other advice would be welcome!

I think that you need to discuss all this with your doctor and the CPAM and the CAF. Maybe the assistante sociale could also help.

Other people must be in this situation too, so they must have ways of dealing with it.

ps In case you didn't know. If your child is born in France then you have to register the birth at the Mairie within 3 days.

You really do need to talk to all those people I indicated.

And babies, well unless you spend your last trimestre in France, I don' t know how you can really plan this. It's just that a baby arrives when it is ready and not necessarily when we are 'expecting' it to arrive.