witness at a wedding

magic

My good wife and i have been ask to be the witness at our very good friends wedding. They are both French and it is going to be a small civil wedding and a meal at night. Could any one please tell me of any French customs that need to be organised and a suggestion for a gift. A friend has suggested a hazel nut tree as this is a French tradition ?. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I haven't heard about trees as gifts but it's a lovely thought - if they have a garden into which to plant it.

The French weddings that I have attended have surprised me how low-key the dress code is.  None of the ladies were wearing bright coloured frocks and hats of the sort that I wear to British weddings.  In fact, the last wedding I saw (rather than invited to), I thought was a funeral until the bride came out of the church.

any dry fruit tree=nut tree - but it is a very old (pagan) tradition. I have googled the subject on French sites- and it seems the temoins have many and varied roles. I think it is best to ask them what they expect of you, and what they would like to do and what they would like as a present. Temoins are supposed to organise hen and stag dos - but maybe they don't want this. Also to help with decorations, dressing, flowers, food, invitations, etc. 

no no - if you would prefer to surprise - do it - you are quite right - much more fun. It is not like you intend to buy a kettle or some other mundane thing. But DO ask them about what role/job/s they would like you to take/do as witnesses- as it is THEIR big day.