Getting married in France

Bobbo

My fiance and I are both ex pats but are now resident in France (I've been here for five years and she's been here for two), she is dual nationality (French/English) and I am English, she is divorced but does not have a copy of her decree nisi (she is currently in the process of obtaining one). We are hoping to marry here in France but the information I have found on the subject is sparse at best and often contradictory, neither of us speak much French so we are finding it very difficult to obtain any useful information on the subject.

We are aware that we would have to go through the local Mairie but that's about all we're sure of at the moment.

As RH says, that old thread should give you all you need.

The key thing is to take a list to your Mairie of what you reckon is needed and get them to OK it + dates needed by, for your chosen date. Leave a copy with them, so that when you leave and they think of something else (there probably won't be, but ........), the onus is on them.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need help.

The position may be complicated by the fact that your fiancee is a French national (her dual British nationality doesn't count while she is in France). I needed the permission of the Prefect to marry one of his subjects, although this was some time ago.

[quote user="Bobbo"] she is divorced but does not have a copy of her decree nisi (she is currently in the process of obtaining one). [/quote]

I'm sorry if this is bad news, but I don't think a decree nisi will be sufficient. Your fiancee will need a decree absolute (if I recall correctly, and assuming it's an English divorce, this normally comes 2 years after the decree nisi).

[quote user="lacote0_0"][Your fiancee will need a decree absolute (if I recall correctly, and assuming it's an English divorce, this normally comes 2 years after the decree nisi).[/quote]

The decree absolute can be applied for six weeks after the decree nisi has been pronounced. (source)

• 3 months later...
Strictly speaking, either the bride or groom should be resident in the commune where the marriage is to take place for a period of not less than 40 days immediately before the wedding.  Where it is the parents of either the bride or groom who are the residents, the interpretation of the residency requirement is up to the mayor of the commune.  In our case the mayor decided that as we are full-time residents of several years standing, and our daughter has been a frequent visitor during that time, the marriage could go ahead.  If the prospective bride or groom are non resident, or part-timers, then it would be wise to talk to your mayor at the very beginning to see how the land lies.  If it looks as if there will be problems then it is always an option to have a civil ceremony in the UK, followed later by a religious service - if wished - and the reception in France.