French books

Frank

Hi everyone, hope someone can help[:)]  Is there anywhere near Saintes/Royan that sells second hand French books that will do for a holiday read please????  I have loads of English books that I have had over the yrs, but so far, cannot fine any cheap French books, (they are for guests to read is they want to!)  If anyone has any helpful suggestions, they will be greatly received[:D] Many thanks in advance

Jetlag

dept 17

Most small, weekly markets tend to sell fruit, veg, fish, meat and honey etc.

The bigger markets (Foires) are held once a month (on different days in different towns)and will have a wider variety of goods on offer i.e. big knickers, [8-|]socks, shoes, jewellery, CDs books, hardware, live hens and ducks [;-)]and all sorts of food of course.

Summer time will see more on offer in the markets and there will be plenty to attract the tourists.[:)]

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Branches of the EMMAUS organisation often have good book sections.  Maybe there is one near you?  Most big towns have a branch.  If you go to this page, http://www.emmaus-france.org/vous_ventes.section/pages/vous2BC1485A85.html and scroll down to the bottom, you can type in the number of your departement and see where your nearest one is.  They often have rather eccentric opening hours, so it's best to check these before heading off there.

Otherwise, I have often seen book sections in normal "depot-ventes" (junk shops).

Angela

• 3 weeks later...
This leads me to ask - are there charity shops in France?  I don't think I've ever seen any.  Most High Streets in England are full of them these days.  Oxfam has an excellent bookshop in Nottingham (I even got a really old volume of Balzac in French there - leather bound and a volume of Moliere with a date of something like Lac Leman 1870 handwritten in it.  When my children were small, I used to come back from our local town with carrier bags full of books.  I still have a real weakness for buying books in charity shops.  Mind you, I did get a bit carried away - I think we have about 5 copies of Pride and Prejudice!  I often buy books on markets in French.  We bought a book about Catherine de Medicis (a pretty one - imitation leather) for my daughter's coursework and when she started doing the research in English, it turned out to be the definitive book.  I love second hand book stalls!