Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

RH,

Have you used the following site?:

http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/pricewatch/

It links to Amazon and tells you when your selected book(s) fall in price. I've bought half a dozen or so books that have been reduced by a couple of quid each. The thing is only useful if you have the patience to wait (and realise that sometimes the prices go up too).

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I dont read e-books as such, I do frequent the local library for traditional presentations; puzzled at the popularity of kindle type products; it seems obvious that tablets will soon be the favoured manner to view e-documents.

This year Samsung withdrew from the e-book reader market, regarding it as being dead in the water.

The graph below is indicative of trends during 2010.

[IMG]http://static.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/mini-100022-ebooks.png[/IMG]

Well, from what Amazon have said Kindle books are outselling print books in the UK and USA .

If you want to stick to print that's fine, I wouldn't dream of critising your choice, but I am very happy to own a Kindle. At present I am reading a series of print books, I think there are 13 in all (J A Jance, Joanna Brady series) but when I've finished they will be sent to some one else to enjoy asap, I just do not have the space, plus of course there are some good free reads out in ebook land.......

Sid, the nook and kindle are the same price, at least in the US. I'd imagine they're the same price elsewhere too.

As for the ipad v kindle sales, I think where ebook readers such as the b/w kindle, nook etc have the advantage other the ipad is if you use them outside in the sun.

Other than that, I'd have an ipad over both any day of the week.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Sid, the nook and kindle are the same price, at least in the US. I'd imagine they're the same price elsewhere too.

As for the ipad v kindle sales, I think where ebook readers such as the b/w kindle, nook etc have the advantage other the ipad is if you use them outside in the sun.

Other than that, I'd have an ipad over both any day of the week.[/quote]

OK, I've followed this lot, but now have another questions.

I want something that will allow me to check emails, do a small amount of internet surfing etc (check timetables, book hotels etc) whilst I am travelling.  I do not want to buy a lap top especially, and I want it to be light and small.  Also I am a mac user.

OK, one friend suggested I look at the kindle, and showed me hers - (I believe the 3G, she was using it in France, but lives in the UK), she had just found out that she could get emails on it.  Yes, easy to read, but I am not likely to buy many books to read in that way, I've more than enough to read without buying any more. But the price is ok, but I'm not sure just how much it will answer my need (which is not really to read books on it!).

I looked at the adverts for the Ipad, but couldn't really make out what it was meant to do, and cost wise I assume it would be considerably more than the kindle (it being an apple product of course).

I also have the problem of living in France with no UK address, though I could get it delivered to a UK address without too much fuss.  I was an Amazon customer before I  moved to France and use a .co.uk email address, but all credit cards are registred to the France address.

So what, in the opinion of all you more experienced in technology than I, would you advise me to buy?

The advantage with the 3G version of the kindle is that internet access is free, so you can surf and check your email online.

However, if the browser is anything like the nook's, it's not really that great and I would only use it in "emergency" if I needed the net that much.

If your net useage is going to be high, then probably the ipad 3G or similar is the way to go for you. But you'd need to pay for net access and I've no idea how much that would cost in France.

Judith, what about an Android-based tablet?  I know one or two people who like Android a lot.  For £77 this will do all you seem to want, and gets pretty good reviews from users:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAIPAD-MX7650-ANDROID-TABLET-YOUTUBE/dp/B004V3VU7O/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1309355016&sr=1-16

If you spend £50 more you can get an even better tablet but with better WiFi range.

Includes Kindle Ap', should you ever want any books in the future, or want something to read while travelling.

Coops,

Thanks - even more technology I didn't know about !

Does  this (like the iphone, ipad or any smart phone (my niece's recommendation) need a mobile contract or dongle or some such thing?

The one thing it seems the kindle doesn't need is a mobile contract - hence very attractive.

Most of my need for this would be travelling and most likely in the UK, with occasional use in France when getting to the UK.  I don't go often, hence the need to find something sensibly priced.

If you're seriously just intending to use something for checking the odd e-mail, mainly in the UK, or for doing a bit of surfing, and if you have (for example) either a BT internet contract already or an existing mobile phone contract, then you can (for the former) consider an Ipod touch (which is essentially an Iphone without the phone) which you could use free in any establishment offering WiFi through the BT network, or for a fee if the Wifi isn't part of that network or isn't already free. Or, (for the latter) just upgrade your mobile contract to include internet access and get yourself any android phone.

I've generally found an ipod touch and a quick coffee in Mc Donalds allows me to check my e-mails when I'm in France for a few days, with minimal inconvenience. I've got the Kindle app on mine, and it works fine for reading on the train or plane. I'm not really a kindle person. My main use of the Ipod is for audiobooks.

Just to let you happy Kindlers know that Amazon have a summer sale at the moment with many decent ebooks going at very low prices. Got 3 today each at 99p instead of their usual £5 or so.

• 2 months later...

Don't understand the 'rubbish typography' comment?

Had mine abut 3 months and find it superbly easy to read in ANY daylight conditions - better than a normal book in fact where you can sometimes get 'glare' from the page. I have the cover with the light for nigh-time reading and that is great as well.

Chiefluvvie