Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

I've got mine!  [:D]  It's good.  I picked it up from a friend in London when I was over in the UK for the weekend.  I have been 'playing' with it as much as I can.  I'm pleased that I bought the wallet with light as I have been able to read at night time without disturbing my children. 

Some questions:

1. Where are the free books? I couldn't get onto my laptop over the weekend and so was trying to download free books from the Kindle.  I spent so much time searching but only found Alice in Wonderland and Christmas Carol.  Everything else was at a cost, even the Bible.  [Www]

2.  The prices are in US dollars.  How do I change this to £ sterling.

Loads more but I'll save that for later...  It's the submission date for UK tax returns tomorrow ...  [8-)]

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you RH so much.

I clicked on some of the links in the article and started shopping for free or non-expensive books.

In order to continue, I have been trying to sort out the US dollar / UK pounds problem.  I do not want to buy books in dollars.  So I have transferred the Kindle to my UK house.  I started downloading some interesting titles and after about three books, I was asked to contact Customer Services.  But the service is not available.  I have clicked several times - it is so frustrating.  Not good enough Amazon.  I am not a happy bunny.

What is this Co Dot UK and Dot Com problem?  Why the difference? 

The little reading I have done made me think that the 3G provider is different, it's 'Sprint' in the USA, I think something else in Europe, whether that has anything to do with your problem I don't know.

I think Simon mentioned something about altering your location earlier in the thread, perhaps that will fix it ?

Googling the problem may help - there are numerous 'help' facilities it seems.....

Cathy Hi - congratulations!

There are 4623 free books - mostly the ones out of copyright (i.e.old!). Just list all Kindle books and sort by price lowest to highest.

Your prices are in USD because your Kindle is assigned to Amazon.com in the US. You need to change your country to the UK using the 'Manage my Kindle' section of your account on-line.

Have fun / Simon

This is the message that I get every time that I try to download a book on my Kindle account.  I have updated my country to my house in the UK and that has been accepted when I click on the link (have you moved to a new country).  When I click on "contact customer service" (are you travelling outside your country), a message says that this service is not available.  Result: I can't buy or download books.  Perhaps it has picked up that my computer is in France?

I shall try to get to the bottom of this as it will affect anyone buying a Kindle when in France.

Please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.

You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.

Are you traveling outside your country?

Please "contact customer service" (link) in order to continue purchasing Kindle items.

Did you recently move to a new country?

You can easily "update your country" (link) for your Amazon account.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Simon mentions how he swapped from US to UK on page 9 of this thread.

Angela[/quote]  Thanks for finding this, Loiseau.  I checked and I had already done what Simon had suggested but I still have the problem of being refused books.  As the link to customer services iss not enabled, I have now written to Amazon.

I fell over this yesterday when trying to purchase a new book for my Kindle. I gave my residence as a UK address as described above, but I also have 1-click set up and I had to ensure that my bank account address or "virtual" delivery address (can't remember which) was also pointing to a UK address. On the manageyourkindle page I just went through each section and checked everything was pointing towards the UK..... Then downloaded my books - Also agree with most on this thread - I love my Kindle x

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Just create a new account in the UK and attach that to your kindle.[/quote]  Good idea, CdeL.  I just did this - created a brand new account and re-registered the Kindle to this account.  I started to download some books.  But guess what?  Frustration again.  After a few books, it has stopped me again with the same message.  And again the link to customer services in the message does not work.  So I am back to Square One.  I cannot buy or download any more books.  I assume that this is because my computer is in France?

Does anyone on this Forum who has a Kindle have a computer in France?

We're in France, and I've ordered lots of books for my Kindle from here; in fact that's partly what I did over Christmas when it was new! I ordered several yesterday. Hope you get it sorted out soon!

Just a thought, Cathy, have you changed your credit card, or had problems with it? I lost mine a couple of months ago, received a new one with a different number and had to add the new details on to accounts such as Amazon. If it's just the free books, of course this wouldn't apply!

Simon is in France and has no problems obviously.

I think I mentioned that Amazon have a dedicated Kindle help desk, I used their customer service last week on another matter and they were quick, helpful and polite. Can you use your PC to contact them ( you fill in your number and they phone you - immediatley ! )

Cathy - what's going on ? :-)

You say you've registered your Kindle to the UK, linked it to a UK address, set up your one-click payment method - you should be absolutely fine to download from amazon.co.uk.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with where your PC is! In any case you can download direct to the Kindle from the main menu on the device. You can also set-up 'Kindle for My PC' and amazon will automatically synchronise your PC and Kindle libraries.

My Kindle is registered to the UK, with a French one-click payment card - no probs at all. Oh and my PC is here in France with me!

Good luck / Simon:-)

Amazon has rung.  You cannot live in France and buy from the Kindle Co Dot UK site.  It's to do with licences.

An investigative team are going to be in touch in the next couple of days.  I have told them that I have a British birth certificate, passport and driving licence.

All my information is based in UK - the delivery address, billing address, I-Click info (a British credit card).  Some books have been delivered to France in the past, including one outstanding order.  But my computer is in France.  It must be like the National Lottery that detects where you are logging on.

In the meantime, I have been given permission to buy 5 books.

I shall let you know what happens.

Well Cathy - that's just mad! So - you can buy a Kindle in the UK and then if you even travel abroad you can't download from .co.uk????

There are thousands of people who have bought a Kindle in the UK either at amazon.co.uk or even John Lewis and then use them whilst on holiday or at their second home or even, god forbid, at their permanent home outside the UK!!

Amazon will have one heck of an investigation to conduct!!

Simon :-)

You may find that is to do with the French restrictive practises. If you go on line to Ebay UK for argument sake, and you are in France you will find that some items will not be shown as it infringes French trading laws. Probably because it is cheaper, and they couldn't allow that  could they?

Now I am really confused!

When I asked about this apparent problem here pages ago, it seemed that Simon and others had had no trouble downloading books over here, just so long as they used a UK address to register.  Are we now saying that this is wrong?  I understand the reasons and this was my major worry, given the inflated prices of books here.   How come some seem to be able to do this and others can't?  I have no UK based way of paying so I can't invent a new account - is it just a case of doing the initial registration whilst one is in the UK or will the thing turn out to be a total white elephant? 

cooperlola - I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with my UK registered Kindle. I registered it whilst in France, use a French credit card and a French address - so it looks like the amazon police will be after me too!

It all seems totally barking mad to me - I always believed copyright to be a 'global' thing - so I can only assume NickP's take on the issue is probably the correct one.

The other important thing to mention is that I have regularly ordered hard copy books from amazon.co.uk for delivery to France. I spotted that all the books actually came from Orleans in France! Therefore, as an amazon.fr premium member (pay an annual unlimited delivery charge), I ask amazon.co.uk to refund me the delivery charge from the UK orders - as all the orders actually come from Orleans in France via Colissimo. To date, they have refunded ALL my delivery charges for .co.uk orders sent from Orleans (their central european distribution centre). One Europe - I think not!

Catch me if you can.........

Simon :-)

(one of thousands who download from amazon.co.uk with no problem at all)