Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kindle seems to do exactly what it was designed to do. The best bit is that you can use it for around 30 days without having to charge it up. Not many tablets that could do that, or mobile phones for that matter.

Here is a link to the wifes new kindle book here.

She did everything herself including the cover design. I am very proud of her.

I have been offered one for my birthday and just want to know one thing.

When I register my Kindle to a UK address - do I have to use the name of the home owner as well as his address and if so will it affect this person's Amazon account or mine if I pay for books with my card (UK bank, French address)?  I don't want to find  that I either cannot download books or that I can't buy from Amazon normally using the same cards etc as I do use them a lot.

Hi cooperlola

I have an amazon.co.uk account with a French address and payment card. I ordered the Kindle to be delivered to a friends' UK address but even so it was still registered to the US when it arrived (so I may as well have ordered it to be delivered directly to me in the first place!).

No problem though - I just changed the country to the UK in the 'Manage my Kindle' section of my account. You can't do this until you have the Kindle as you need the device serial number stored on the device itself.

Happy reading, and surfing, and listening to music........

Simon :-)

You can see how much books cost, scroll down to 'Formats' as here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Day-David-Nicholls/dp/0340896981/ref=bt_atcg_mine_pl_0?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0WY13X9PE81YX633SQZQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=223812787&pf_rd_i=266239

I believe many of the classics are free, (if they are out of copyright) a friend of mine had downloaded a lot of Jane Austen for example.

I have tried that now, R/H and thanks, but the Kindle format is blocked on the list and comes up as an error - I think because it knows I'm in France.  I should try a poxy server, I reckon.

I do plan to take advantage of the free books - there are still some things I don't own which I've hence never got round to reading which I hope to give a go to once they're "free" (Conrad, for example, I feel I should tackle.[:)])

It seems I cannot use "Kindle for iPad" to shop for e-books on Amazon UK either.

Unlike Coop's experience, the Kindle books are listed and I can click on the links, but I am redirected to Amazon US when I try to download a sample...

I have downloaded a lot of French and English-language "free classics" on my iPad, but not from Amazon. There are many alternative e-shops/apps which seem to offer the same facilities, not least of all iTunes.

Am I right in thinking they wouldn't work for the Kindle, as it is linked exclusively to Amazon...?

I've loaded many of the classics as they were free, and some poetry books plus a few other titles which are only obtainable at fairly high prices; those cost pennies over £4. I thought someone on here said they could use their ebooks from elsewhere onto the kindle - but don't get too excited, as my memory does let me down!

My OH has also registered his ipod to link with my kindle.

I love it, have it by my bedside and find it great at bedtime and in the middle of the night when I'm wide awake. OH has only once mentioned the tiny click it makes when turning pages, whereas I guess paper pages caught on the sheets at times and made rustling noises. It also has the advantage of being very light, even with the leather case. The only thing I don't like is the name!

[quote user="Clair"]It seems I cannot use "Kindle for iPad" to shop for e-books on Amazon UK either.

Unlike Coop's experience, the Kindle books are listed and I can click on the links, but I am redirected to Amazon US when I try to download a sample...

I have downloaded a lot of French and English-language "free classics" on my iPad, but not from Amazon. There are many alternative e-shops/apps which seem to offer the same facilities, not least of all iTunes.

Am I right in thinking they wouldn't work for the Kindle, as it is linked exclusively to Amazon...?

[/quote]

I don't have a Kindle and I download what I want from anywhere. Got one of THESE for Xmas and it is superb. Full colour screen, plays mp3 music files (while you are reading if you wish), plays films and has a card slot in case the 2Gb of internal memory is not enough. It's a lot cheaper than the Kindle! Battery life is about 6 hrs for reading books which is not as good as Kindle but OK for me as I never read that long anyway and it charges from USB or in the car on a long journey. It doesn't connect directly to the net but that is not something that interested me and I suspect the 3G facility will be short lived.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Clair"]It seems I cannot use "Kindle for iPad" to shop for e-books on Amazon UK either.

[/quote]

I don't have a Kindle and I download what I want from anywhere. Got one of THESE for Xmas and it is superb. Full colour screen, plays mp3 music files (while you are reading if you wish), plays films and has a card slot in case the 2Gb of internal memory is not enough. It's a lot cheaper than the Kindle! Battery life is about 6 hrs for reading books which is not as good as Kindle but OK for me as I never read that long anyway and it charges from USB or in the car on a long journey. It doesn't connect directly to the net but that is not something that interested me and I suspect the 3G facility will be short lived.

[/quote]

Very useful post that Jay. This is a thread about kindle that can be used for 30 days rather than 6 hours. The Kindle also charges from USB or a car, and many people will want to connect to the net and use it when they are away.

I've been using an Ectaco jetbooks lite for the past 12 months. Again can't connect directly to the net,and so far I have been catching up with many authors I had not got round to Not actually paid for any books Comes loaded with 100 books., and the bible.No noise when turning a page, easy to read, the version I use runs off 4 AA batteries.I always keep 4 on charge so it suits me fine.

[quote user="Bob T"][quote user="Jay"][quote user="Clair"]It seems I cannot use "Kindle for iPad" to shop for e-books on Amazon UK either.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very useful post that Jay. This is a thread about kindle that can be used for 30 days rather than 6 hours. The Kindle also charges from USB or a car, and many people will want to connect to the net and use it when they are away.

[/quote]

Thanks for that Bob, no doubt your views are useful to somebody, somewhere.

[quote user="Jazzer"]I've been using an Ectaco jetbooks lite for the past 12 months. Again can't connect directly to the net,and so far I have been catching up with many authors I had not got round to Not actually paid for any books Comes loaded with 100 books., and the bible.No noise when turning a page, easy to read, the version I use runs off 4 AA batteries.I always keep 4 on charge so it suits me fine.[/quote]

Wow 90 hours reading. 2 Years standby ! Enough for a trip around the world!

There are some good sites for downloading eBooks HERE

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Clair"]It seems I cannot use "Kindle for iPad" to shop for e-books on Amazon UK either.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Looks a neat little gadget, but it's disadvantages over the kindle (and any other dedicated ebook reader such as the nook etc) is that it is backlit. As you have stated, the battery life is poor (not that this is always a major issue), but the greatest disadvantage is that reading on backlit screens (including laptops etc) is that it causes eye strain. With the kindle, the screen is not backlit and is almost paper like in its display thereby reducing eye strain. Also, it can be read under many different light sources, including direct sunlight. Try looking at a backlit screen in direct sunlight, it's nigh impossible.

The kindle and nook have built in mp3 players too.

I bought my husband a Kindle for his retirement present recently - he is a bit of a gadget freak. I love books, the feel and the smell and find it hard to read from a screen - I am afraid I have to print things off to read them. However, I have to say that the Kindle is great and I have read a couple of books on it (when I have been able to prise it out of his fingers). We did not realise when it was bought that it had web access facility so that was a real bonus.

All in all a successful purchase.

One question if I may, ok the batteries are rechargeable but they will one day not recharge, what type of batteries are they can they be replaced? as the Kindle looks rather thin, is it a case of throwing the thing away after two or three years, and what happens to all the "books" purchased.

Steve

Update, Ignore above, have just looked on E.Bay and replacement batteries can be purchased.