Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything out with that which is stated in the T&Cs could be regarded as abuse of the service.

All I'm saying is that Amazon/Kindle have done a deal with 3g operators to enable users to download books and other material from the Kindle store. That deal, and it's cost, will be based on expected usage, not for unlimited and unfettered worldwide 3g internet browsing, and if that type of non core usage expands and gets out of hand they will be forced to revisit it.

Don't think so AnOther....on the Kindle itself Amazon clearly state: (in relation to the Web Browser, MP3 Player and Text-to-Speech functions)

''We are working on these experimental prototypes. Do you find them useful? Should we continue working on them? We would love to hear what you think, so please send your comments to [email protected]''

Don't want to sound over-optimistic (!) but...looks like Amazon are actively encouraging us to use these great, FREE, services on the Kindle.......Love it!

Simon :-)

I'm sure it does Simon but they are sensibly leaving themselves a perfectly legal option to modify, drop, or block, any or all of the additional 'experimental' services if they choose to or they prove unsupportable for any reason, I too hope they don't.

The T&C's extracts are still worth a read though:

2. Wireless Connectivity

Use of Wireless Connectivity. Your Kindle uses wireless connectivity to allow you to shop for and

download Digital Content from the Kindle Store. In general, we do not

charge you for this use of wireless connectivity. Your Kindle may use

wireless connectivity to make other services available to you for which

we may charge you a fee, such as personal file download and

subscriptions when you are located in another country. The fees and

terms for such services are located in the Kindle Store and may change

from time to time. If your Kindle functions with third party services,

such as Wi-Fi access points, a third party may charge you fees for the

use of those services.

Your Conduct. You may use the

wireless connectivity provided by us only in connection with the

Service. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other

purpose.

Availability. If your Kindle is located in an

area in which it cannot maintain wireless connectivity, you may not be

able to use some or all of the Service. We are not responsible for the

unavailability of wireless connectivity for your Kindle or any

corresponding loss of Service. Events beyond our reasonable control

(such as changes in service or terms by wireless carriers) may impact

the terms or circumstances under which we provide you wireless

connectivity and may result in a change to these terms or a temporary

or permanent modification or loss of wireless connectivity for your

Kindle.

4. General
Changes to Service. We may modify, suspend, or discontinue the Service, in whole or in part, at any time.

Heck AnOther and Coeur de Lion - some people will always find a reason NOT to do something - go on, be daring, get one, use it and THEN have your say......

I have a Kindle Wifi / 3G version for reading books. It's brilliant.

Added to that I can browse the web on it, listen to music on it and it can even read my books to me - all these added extras are completely FREE.

That's what my Kindle can do TODAY.

I will always be able to read books on it and, if Amazon decide to withdraw their prototype extras - so be it. In the meantime I'll just enjoy it and have fun.......to heck with the T's & C's!

Simon :-) - (sent from my Kindle!)

I already have one Simon, the nook. It's the Barnes & Nobel version of the kindle.

And for what I want it for, it's great, have all my books on it, a heap of music on the 8gb micro sd card, but to use it as a browser, I find it awkward and not as easy to use as a laptop. Which is good as I find the net too much of a distraction.

As an ebook reader and as a study aid and text book holder, which is its primary function, can't fault it.

And books are as easy to get online as music.

I'm a new convert to the Kindle - I never thought I would go for such a thing, as I love the feel and smell of books old and new, and have large collections of them.

However, I think the Kindle is great, and I've now loaded lots of books onto it. When travelling around it will be especially useful - no need to pack a few books each time. I enjoyed reading it in the car on the way back from France on Sunday; I chose a larger font than normal, and it was really good. I must see if the Good Pub Guide is available when I've finished here! I also like the dictionary facility - a click on a word gives the meaning - brilliant!

I'm not normally into new-fangled things, and often take a long time to become accustomed to ideas that are new. But I'm very impressed with the look and feel of the Kindle, and that I can download so much on to it. As far as I can see, use of internet is encouraged by Amazon; maybe it will have a cost in future, but who knows. A quick look at my emails when travelling is a bonus.

Edit: I've just checked for the Good Pub Guide, but it's not available. That's one title I'll have to stick with in book form!

When I set off travelling the world the bottom third of my backpack was taken up with guidebooks which accounted for more close to 3/4 of the weight, I gradually donated them to other travellers as along the way but it almost broke my heart every time, I really wnated to keep them as they had been such an important part of my life, I posted several back to the UK from New Zealand where the postage was very cheap, others I have since re-purchased, I dearly miss my Footprint guide to South America.

I can see that in those circumstances a Kindle or the likes of would be very usefull although most of the places I spent time in did not have mobile coverage (I didnt take a phone so cant be 10% sure) and electricity to recharge batteries would also cause problems.

When push comes to shove for me nothing beats a paper book but the ability to download the guide book you want when you need it is very usefull.

[quote user="Bob T"]Was not too many years ago when people used to tell me that they will never use email as they like to write letters. The same people would not use a digital camera as film was great. What future does the printed book have?

[/quote]

Like written mail and film, the printed book will still always have a place in society, albeit a smaller role.

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]Frederick - great video !! Surely there can't be any more sceptics out there ???? :-)[/quote]

How the stuff can you get great video with an ink screen in black & white that is so slow to load that you think for a moment you are back on MSDOS 3.1?

Guess that depends what you're used to and what you're using it for pachapapa...

Here in the Pyrenees I currently pay 44,40€ a month (532,80€ a year!) for the use of a 3G dongle for internet access which is no faster than the Kindle. So, for me, it's brilliant and FREE.

I guess everything's relative - even though obviously not up to your usual standards!

Simon :-)

I was watching the Review Show's end-of-the-year round up and one of the contributers said that this was the best thing she had ever owned - the ability to carry thousands of books around with her wherever she went.  When I went to the UK on the train and had to take enough stuff to last me for three weeks including four days' camping, in a rucksack attached to the back of my chair - I'd really have appreciated that.  I too have always thought it was the last thing I would ever buy but as an adjunct to books, rather than a replacement for them it does seem a great idea and I'm now quite tempted by one.  As Bob says, there are so many things now which I said I would never have and which I have managed to embrace that I reckon I'll get hooked, as I so often am by new technology.

The other thing which appeals to me is the ability to alter the font size - as one's eyes age, this seems like a real plus.

I thought about it long and hard, but still think the downloads are quite expensive for more recent books. Yes, the classics are free, but we have got most of those that we have ever wanted to read. It just can't match the price of Abe books for most of the things we buy and I think biography, travel etc are seriously thin. (We have got about 7,000 books just to put my feelings about it in context.) Agree it's great for travelling and holidays. I will get one eventually I think, but didn't ask Father Christmas for one this year.