Kindle - Wow!

Simon-the-censored

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm sorry to interrupt you guys here, KINDLING a little friendship! [:-))] But I would really like to hear about this Kindle device; is the 3G contract free, absolutely nothing to pay once you've bought the Kindle? Definitely no contract or monthly fee? Just the cost of the downloaded books then?

I'm another who's had a 3G Kindle for Christmas, and I think it's great! I took loads of books away with us over Christmas in case we got snowed in in northern France - we didn't, by the way! But I won't need to pack books again for hols, on planes etc.

From what I can gather there's nothing to pay for apart from buying books, magazines etc. I'll be able to go on the internet, read my emails etc, but so far all I've really done is 'buy' some free books - Jane Austen etc.

However, if I go onto home page, then menu, then experimental, choose web browser, it takes me to the BBC website for up to date news, then I can type in my ISP and get emails. It's a bit fiddly, but easily do-able. I'm not into technical things at all, but it seems reasonably straightforward.

3g is FREE for downloading books:

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/amazons-kindle-offers-free-worldwide-3g-web-browsing

However note that Amazon refer to Web browsing as 'experimental' which is a euphemism for 'may be withdrawn or disabled at any time'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002LVUWFE#kindle-features-wireless

Hi Sid - yep - you do get free Wifi / 3G access with the £149 model and yep it works globally. Quite simply the Kindle picks up the strongest available signal - if it'can't pick up Wifi or 3G it logs on to an Edge or GPRS mobile signal. It's completely automatic and takes minutes to set up. Couldn't quite believe it myself as we're at the foot of the Pyrenees!

Simon :-)

And - just to clarify - there are NO monthly fees etc - Amazon have done a global deal with the network providers.

AnOther - lets not be so pessimistic - just enjoy it! It's highly unlikely that Amazon would take a backwards step in their Kindle technology. The web browser, MP3 player and voice control work just fine - they're FREE.

In any case we bought it to read books, newspapers, mags etc on! All these other things are simply a bonus.

No I agree, it's a brilliant device when used for it's intended purpose, reading books etc.

The future of the 3g 'bonus' features will inevitably come down to cost but you can bet your boots that the hackers have got their eye on already and if they find a way to exploit the 3g for other purposes then Amazon will have little option but to put a block on it.

Happy reading [;-)]

I am gobsmacked!

So with this device you can get free 3g internet access?

You get free newspapers and magazines and even some books?

Other books you pay for, how much do they cost? Can you copy them? [6]

Is Mr CDL going to lose 2000 books that he may have paid for if his kindle turns into a fire?

As someone that brings bootloads of books back from the UK but who is finding that charity shops that once sold books for 25p now wnat £1 o £2 a pop even I may become an IWOOT [:D]

Hi Chancer

Yes - you get free Wifi / 3G / EDGE / GPRS internet access. But...just to stress again - it's all in black & white (electronic ink) format. However, it works just fine.

Yes - you can get free books (nearly 5000 are currently free for download). You pay for newspaper and magazine subs but you do get a 14 day no obligation free trial.

Over 519,000 books available to buy and download onto your Kindle / PC / Ipad / Iphone. And yes - once downloaded you own them forever and can copy them.

Just take a look at Amazon.fr / .co.uk or .com

Before you have an accident in your underpants the Kindle T&C's state:

Use of Wireless Connectivity. Your Kindle uses wireless

connectivity to allow you to shop for and download Digital Content from

the Kindle Store. In general, we do not charge you for this use of

wireless connectivity … You may use the wireless connectivity provided

by us only in connection with the Service. You may not use the wireless

connectivity for any other purpose.

The provision of a browser capable of doing more might seem contradictory but nevertheless gives them a cast iron excuse for blocking any customer found to be abusing it.

If you want an eBook reader then buy one, if you're thinking to buy one for free 3g Internet access - with an eBook reader chucked in - be wary of it lasting or being a very satisfying experience whilst it does.