The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Russethouse

Yes I read it. I enjoyed it, but found the style a bit overblown. I read it in translation which may not have helped. I thought the central characters were beautifully drawn and I liked the basic idea of the story, but got irritated by the philosophical digressions. What did you think RH?

regards

L

I am reading it in French, which helps the points about style and grammar that she makes.

The central literary conceit of the knowledgeable who pretend or appear not to be works to a point, but it was spoiled for me by prior knowledge that the author has been a philosophy teacher, so not in the situation of her central characters.

To some extent it is a vehicle for her showing off her learning..

I'm halfway through  and debating whether to go on....

I used to read mainly historical fiction and non fiction, but recently a friend sent me several of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, then Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovitch, both are full of action... this is so different, so much introspection........but I hate to give up on a book....

I wondered if anyone else had the same feelings about it....

http://www.bookmooch.co.uk/

What you do is list books that you have finished with, other members contact you to ask for them  you post them and  build up a points balance which you use to request books from other members. I know theres a group of English speakers in France who are members. You can decide whether to post abroad or not.

I've posted quite a few books off  (one to Chatou in France just today) and in turn I've got a few too.

• 1 year later...
I just finished it this morning and my loud sobbing scared the cat. I absolutely loved it. It was a bit of a struggle to get in to, but suddenly on about page 40 I 'got it' and then adored it more with every page.

I was reading the translation (for my book group) but feel the translator/publishers did very well to make points about grammar and syntax, amongst other things, relevant to English-speaking readers.

Loved it, and will certainly be reading it again.

I'll look out for The Help - thanks!

I think a lot of people will feel the same as you, RH, and not make it through the early stages... I would not have done, probably, if I hadn't been reading it for Book Group - I suspect certain other members will also have given up. It's a shame, because after the 'tipping point' it becomes such a wonderful story of change and revelation.

[quote user="NormanH"]I am reading it in French, which helps the points about style and grammar that she makes.

The central literary conceit of the knowledgeable who pretend or appear not to be works to a point, but it was spoiled for me by prior knowledge that the author has been a philosophy teacher, so not in the situation of her central characters.

[/quote]

Think I'll stick to Viz then.

[quote user="Fay"]I'll look out for The Help - thanks!

I think a lot of people will feel the same as you, RH, and not make it through the early stages... I would not have done, probably, if I hadn't been reading it for Book Group - I suspect certain other members will also have given up. It's a shame, because after the 'tipping point' it becomes such a wonderful story of change and revelation.[/quote]

I don't think that it is the early stages that are the problem.

It is the intellectual snobbery.

The concièrge is just a voice for the author, who is a Philosophy teacher, so the unreal (if whimsically amusing) situation of a woman judging people who snobbishly look down on her because they have a more comfortable material situation  only works if you accept the author's own snobbish assumption that arcane knowledge about philosophy and Japanese culture is in some way a reason to feel  superior .

Basically they are just two snobberies which as is the wont are about excluding and judging those who aren't in a particular magic circle.

The ending is particularly contrived and unprepared, and one suspects that having run out of useless knowledge with which to bore the reader ( the book is full of it) the author just wanted to finish it as quickly as possible.

[quote user="PeterG"]

[quote user="NormanH"]I am reading it in French, which helps the points about style and grammar that she makes.

[/quote]

Think I'll stick to Viz then.

[/quote]

Your bestial reactions to the Fat slags needed no airing.