Your favourite poems

Patf

Thanks for the links to some poems new to me - it's always nice to broaden ones horizons. I have always like Wilfrid Owen's war poems after discovering them in benjamin Britten's War Reqiem. Sassoon too is an interesting poet. Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth etc I came across at school and I can still quote some of them today - a reward for all the learning by heart we had to do.

Burns too is a poet I have come to appreciate more as I grow older. His attacks on hypocracy still carry a powerful message and his ability to draw on everyday details gives IMO immediacy and relevance to a lot of his work.

Patf,

There is this one:

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

Mary Frye (1932)

And the one about poppies in Flander's field.

David

[quote user="NormanH"]Your links are not directly clickable, but (in Firefox anyway) one can just highlight them, right click with the mouse, and select 'open in a new tab'

[/quote]

Thanks Norman - don't know why it is but can't do nowt about it! Tried many times.

David  - I've seen that before, very moving.

BTW, it doesn't have to be WW1 poems.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Pommier, tell me how you have managed to write on the Forum using your new computer?

Mine seems to let me "read only", no replying to anybody's post and certainly no email account sorted out as yet.

[/quote]

Sweet - it ought not to make any difference which computer (or operating system) you're on - so long as you can log on with the usual username, then just click 'reply' as previously. Why aren't you using your existing email account? If you go to the homepage of your ISP (eg SFR where once you're on their home page, at the top right is 'mon espace client' where you can sign in if you can't access your emails in the normal way. Once you've got to them once, bookmark the page so you can go back to it easily.