Kindle 3G

CeeJay

I have had a Kindle Keyboard with 3G for some time now and I find the 3G capability very useful........email checking, bbc news etc. However, I dropped it and a crack appeared although it still works fine but I decided to buy a new paperwhite 3G.

Having just picked it up from son in UK I tried the 3G function out. Does not work!!! Contacted Amazon and after a bit of digging around I was told that it is only possible to connect to Amazon or Wikipedia via 3G. Very dissapointed and unhappy that if I want to use the 3G in its proper guise I now have to carry around 2 Kindles!!

If someone is contemplating buying the new paperwhite 3G and expecting all bells and whistled, then buyer beware!

Make sure you post this info up when you review your purchase on Amazon, may help someone else avoid making the same mistake.

For interest, I read their T&Cs, it states wireless for downloading reading materials, weasel wording?

Send it back, easy if you are with Premium.

CeeJay, I was interested to see your posting and the warning about the paperwhite. I, too, have a Kindle keyboard which I sometimes us to check my emails. However, in the last week or so my Kindle has refused to load the SFR login page and each time I try it locks up and I have to do a reset. The pop-up box says it is unable to establish a secure connection. I haven't encountered this with any other page and have logged into Facebook and Yahoo without problem.

Are you still able to check your emails with your Kindle keyboard? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

I also considered a paperwhite but am going off the idea.

• 5 weeks later...
kizpip

Sorry for the delay but have been marooned by Cyclone Ian whilst in Tonga and have had to endure the very hot summer in New Zealand for the past month!!

However, I have checked my KK and found that it will only me access to the official bookmarks so I cannot access gmail for example or BBC News. But I have now found that the Kindle paperwhite will now access many more sites due to the fact that Amazon have increased the official bookmark list which does include gmail!!

Whether this is because of the amount of complaints sent in I don't know but it is certainly a welcome addition.

Thanks for the replies CeeJay. My Kindle Keyboard problem only arises when trying to connect to SFR's messagerie page, both when I'm connected via wifi or 3G (tells me there's an 'Invalid Certificate') It does appear that Amazon have brought in browsing restrictions.

I'm now looking at buying a bigger, more up-to-date, tablet but am spoilt for choice.

[quote user="CeeJay"]Chiefluvvie

Very interesting blog, however I must be the only person who does not have a Twitter or anything else account!!! However, if desperate!"!"

[/quote]

Believe me you are far from alone in not having anything to do with Facetwat !

When OH cracked the screen on her Kindle 3g I found a second hand one on eBay France for about €50.