The Discovery of France

nomoss

A serious but often hilarious study of the lives of theinhabitants of France and the exploration and colonisation of their land from the late seventeenth century to the early twentieth.

Available from Amazon France's English books section.

I've got a copy of that book, and have read it a few times. It does give an insight into the some of the idiosyncracies of French character ( if that exists now.) And the language.

I found it rather difficult to read, rather disjointed, but worth buying.

Anyone living near me is welcome to borrow it.

I read this book by Graham Robb (I think it was free in the Kindle boutique) two years ago and I'm on my second read right now. I agree with PatF that it is a little disjointed but I've found lots of interesting stuff in it.

EDIT The Kindle version is 1,30€ on Amazon.fr now.

I've got the book too, bought it from Amazon a few years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it twice, and have lots of post-its stuck on various pages. I found parts of it hilarious and other parts just fascinating. It might be a good idea to have it on my ipad too, especially at that price!

EDIT: Amazon.fr won't let me buy it, sent me off to Amazon.co.uk, where it costs £4.72! So there's something else that's cheaper in France!

I haven't been able to buy books from the UK site either. I know that many people have managed to register their Kindles in UK; my wife included!!! I see from her account that there are many more books at very low prices on the UK site. Wot a swiz!