Novel in progress- author seeks advice

Katja

Greetings,

I am an agented, soon to be traditionally published author seeking help for my novel-in-progress (crime fiction) that takes place in Brittany and involves a British expat and her family.

I know Brittany quite well and I'm an expat myself : I first moved to the US as a child, with my family, and then I moved to France as a graduate student. However, I'm afraid I'm lacking the perspective of someone who first moves abroad as an adult.

Might there be a reader willing to take a look at the final draft and tell me if the expat experience is described correctly?

Needless to say, any help will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged in the book.

Best,

Katja

Do bear in mind that each "expat's" experience is necessarily unique to themselves so I am not sure whether someone on here could usefully say whether your description is "correct".  The most the someone can say is whether it's plausible.

BTW, you might have opened a can of worms talking about expats as opposed to immigrants.  Depends on the day you say it and who is reading and whether they feel like a bit of an argument!

Incidentally, I was saying to someone only yesterday that I am an immigrant because, unlike a "typical" expat, I don't have lots of disposable income, do not go back to the UK every so often, do not go to the local English-speaking church or other exclusively English-speaking activities, dine solely with English-speaking hosts, intend to go home after I reach the age of 70/when the grandchildren arrive/to die or be buried there and so on.

But, good luck with your book!

And, for the avoidance of doubt, this is not about "typical " expats, it's about adapting to a new culture, losing the support network, mis-interpreting the locals etc... so immigrant experience is relevant.

Thank you!

I think that there is a huge difference between expats who came to France about 20 years or more ago and those who have come in more recent years. It's so much easier now with the internet and social media. One can retain links with UK in terms of online banking and purchases etc. Advice may be obtained from any number of forum sites, help lines etc and in English. I reckon that it was so much tougher in the pre-internet days. Just a thought....

If it's fiction I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Try to minimise the factual details, people reading crime fiction don't want to read about the nuts and bolts of how France works in any case. As regards "the perspective of someone who first moves abroad as an adult", you only have to read the top few posts on this forum to see how widely different people's perspectives are and how some "expats" refuse to accept other "expats'" views.

I'd be happy to take a look if you want (as a published short story writer" but unless there's something that looked at objectively really grates, I'm not sure I could help you a lot.