Peter Mayle

NormanH

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Who ?[/quote]

That one syllable sums up a mixture of willful ignorance and arrogance.

There is no reason for you to know who he was, but if you had bothered to read the link you would have found out.

I hold no candle for his books, but if you  dare to comment without  reading the link why should anyone read anything you post?

I'm beginning to wonder if ALBF is my former neighbour from Shropshire with whom I lost contact many years ago. A good drinking pal but, as a journalist, he couldn't resist playing a mischievous devil's advocate at every opportunity, just to get an argumentative debate started. Depending on the way the conversation in the pub was was going, he would always put the opposite view, deliberately causing great irritation. It was a case of lighting the touch paper and waiting for the reaction.

He moved on to a Liverpool daily, using similar tactics with his editorials. Must be retired now - perhaps somewhere in France....

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I'm beginning to wonder if ALBF is my former neighbour from Shropshire with whom I lost contact many years ago. A good drinking pal but, as a journalist, he couldn't resist playing a mischievous devil's advocate at every opportunity, just to get an argumentative debate started. Depending on the way the conversation in the pub was was going, he would always put the opposite view, deliberately causing great irritation. It was a case of lighting the touch paper and waiting for the reaction.

He moved on to a Liverpool daily, using similar tactics with his editorials. Must be retired now - perhaps somewhere in France....[/quote]

Many years ago, whilst on a 3 day test to check suitability for an RAF Commission I was in a 'syndicate' that were required to discuss a certain topic, possibly fox hunting or some such like , I can't remember. Anyway, the whole syndicate were of the same mind, there was nothing to discuss / disagree about. I could see that this was not going to go down well with the Directing Staff so I vehemently disagreed with the rest of the group, A vigour debate ensued. It would seem to a type of ALBF action.