A book that changed your life

Frecossais

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

I thought at the time that Alistair Cooke's "America" would change my life.There was something about Cooke's descriptions that made me - and no doubt many others in the early 70s - yearn for a Harley and several months to explore the States, perhaps never to return.

Instead, I ended up in France. (Geography was never my strong subject.) 

I still like to read anything by Cooke. Wonderful style. I can hear his voice and phrasing as I read.

[/quote]

Quite agree, a fabulous writer.  I have his book of selected 'Letters' plus his biography which is wonderful reading.  His America was given to me as a gift when I became an American citizen but I lost it in a house fire.  One day I'll replace it.

[quote user="Pads"]I was going to put The Celestine Prophecy as well but although I have read it 3 times im still not sure what I thing about it ...Is it a book written by a very clever brain washer !! or a very intuative man who seemed to pick up on many things Id felt and thought about most of my life. I have never believed in coincedences always thinking there was a reason for them and now I can see why ...Interesting and clever book.

Knee gel I would be interested to here what happened to you on the train ??[/quote]

Pads, I've pm'd you. Chris

Gemomino. I lost my original copy of "America" during various house moves and couldn't believe my luck when I picked up a near-pristine replacement for 50p at a car boot sale. When you compare that with the cost of a newspaper or an ad-filled magazine, what a bargain!

Another early life-changing literary experience was reading and listening to Under Milk Wood at school. Until our "James Robertson Justice lookalike" teacher unleashed on us this masterpiece, English had been a rather drab, boring subject; but Dylan Thomas suddenly brought the language to life and had a lot to do with giving me an interest in the use of words.

Burton's wonderful delivery as narrator ("First Voice") had a great influence, but even if read, rather than heard as a play, Thomas's writing paints marvellous pictures and fills my head with the characters' voices.

But what do I know? Llareggub!

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Another early life-changing literary experience was reading and listening to Under Milk Wood at school. Until our "James Robertson Justice lookalike" teacher unleashed on us this masterpiece, English had been a rather drab, boring subject; but Dylan Thomas suddenly brought the language to life and had a lot to do with giving me an interest in the use of words.

Burton's wonderful delivery as narrator ("First Voice") had a great influence, but even if read, rather than heard as a play, Thomas's writing paints marvellous pictures and fills my head with the characters' voices.

But what do I know? Llareggub!
[/quote]

I didn't realise you could speak Verlan[:D]

• 7 years later...
Well that was a blast from the distant past! This thread last used in 2011 and the other book thread not used since 2007!

Interesting to wonder what everyone who contributed to that thread is doing now. Memories flooded back of the day a group of us met Cooperlola.

I bought and read several books mentioned in the thread, includng ‘Empty Cradles’, which I’ve read several times although it’s hard emotionally.