What book should I read?

pogo

Has anyone got a suggestion as to what book,or author to read? I am looking for something along the lines of Cider With Rosie,by Laurie Lee,or the James Herriot vet series.I suppose older generation biographical,with a little humour,nothing too heavy.I also loved Pillars of the Earth,by Ken Follet,but his other books are nothing of the sort.Come on then,what should it be.I suppose I am asking too much for someone to recommend a book AND lend it too me(or swap!)? Thanks in advance

Hey Russethouse,thanks for the titles.How to ask this without sounding sexist[:$]? For the 2nd title,am I going to have to 'get in touch with my femenine side',as I am a bloke.In other words,is it a 'girls' book? (oh well,that definately sounds sexist!)[Www].pogo

[quote user="pogo"]Thanks.I have read Jean Auel,Valley of the Horses.Good idea.I'll look for the others.Keep 'em coming[:)]
[/quote]They are a connected series so you should really read them in sequence.

I don't know where you are but I still have  the full set o5 five (vol 6 is in the making). We probably have enough books to start our own library...!

Trampled Lillies is the story of Lady Fortescue's war effort and her eventual journey back to the UK, I'm not sure if its a mans book, I like books that capture the spirit of a different time and this certainly does, to begin with Lady Fortescue is of a certain British class........not often seen these days.

Lavinia Derwent : A Border Bairn etc.  If you know the borders, you'll think you're back there!   Christopher Milne's books about his childhood as "Christopher Robin" are fascinating, although slightly sad and somewhat disturbing in their way.

Gore Vidal's series of historical novels of 19th and 20th Century US are also great reads : Burr, Empire, Hollywood etc and are fascinating especially if, like me, you knew nothing of American history.

• 2 weeks later...

For a bedtime read.The Secret Life of Bees. and A Redbird Christmas. I've just started reading Ruth Rendell books, always avoided them before,probably on account of the TV  series but have found the last 2 riveting. To cheer yourself up  Tom Sharpe takes some beating as in Wilt,Porterhouse Blue,The Miden,Etc.

Regards.

Do you want books about France? The book that Gay mentioned by Lady Fortescue follows a few others that she wrote about her life in France. I read them just before we moved here as we had a very good library in Southend. I do miss the library.  Now I don't read a lot due to lack of books but enjoyed Small Island by Andrea Levy, a present from daughter when I was in hospital last year. Not about France, but very entertaining, witty, interesting. Pat.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Darren Vicky and Amelia"]A must read is Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, I have been addicted to it. Fab read[/quote]

[quote user="Morse98"][...] Labyrinth is brilliant

[...][/quote]

On the strength of these comments, I bought Labyrinthe (the French language translation of the book) which I have just finished reading.

I

enjoyed it and loved the storyline but found the writing somewhat

laboured, which, I'm sure, has more to do with the translation than

with the writing. I look forward to reading it in its original

version.[:)]

I chose the French translation because I am not yet familiar with current French fiction writers.

I

find books in France quite expensive [:(] and keep looking for a good

source of cheap second-hand French books! Being quite picky about who I

read, I resent paying good money for new books by unknown authors

(unknown to me) which I might not enjoy reading several times...

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
In reply to Russetthouse’s post - did you read her other two books about her move to Provence - I found them fascinating - especially the unconscious ( is that the right word ? ) class ‘references’ ! Haven’t come across Trampled Lilies so I will look out for it.

• 1 year later...