Motorcycle or toy?

Dave

Hi,

I know nothing about motorbikes except that I like them a lot, I wanted to buy one of these 'Harley' lookalikes at only 125cc so that I can ride it on my Car license (am I wrong?) My son in the UK who has had big fast bikes says that I will be frustrated with it after about a week but I don't want to use it for tearing up the motorway but just to poodle around the lanes on and polish it and dream that it was a really big bike. I have to add that I was once a mod and had a Vespa SS 180 but never got round to taking my test and I don't think I have the language to pass a test here in France for somethig bigger. I think I sound like a sad old sod[:D]

best regards

Dave

[quote user="Dave"]Hi,
   I know nothing about motorbikes except that I like them a lot, I wanted to buy one of these 'Harley' lookalikes at only 125cc so that I can ride it on my Car license (am I wrong?)
Dave
[/quote]

Sorry Dave, the law relating to this category changed on the 1st of this month. You now need a minimum of three hours formal training.

Dave be aware that you will have loads of fun on a 125, but bikes are addictive. It won't be very long before you are looking for a bigger bike.

My wife did a direct access course in hte UK at the age of 50, she started with a single cylinder 500cc Honda, but within a couple of years was on a Honda Blackbird. We now have a BMW 1100S each, and use them as much as we can.

Nice to see a dedicated area for us bikers here.

Hi Dave,

You could try one of the local driving schools for the 3 hour course, many of them have someone with a smattering of English, so you could muddle by with the language thing.

You may be interested to know that I have the same (juvenile) mentality as you, went out and bought a brand new 125 CBR ( picked by my other half, not me), took delivery on the Saturday morning, by Saturday night I was in Fougeres hospital, 2 hour operation to try to repair my leg, discharged on the following Wednesday, (49 staples across my left knee, bruised ligaments and tendons, black and blue all over, no skin on one side of my face, broken fingers, stitches on my elbow). 10 days later went to have the staples out, but necrosis had set in, emergency admission and huge piece of my knee amputated, 3 week wait (still in hospital) for skin graft, eventually after many tears and much shouting put at top of operating list, sent home after 5 weeks in solitary room. Further 4 months of physio (extremely painful as flesh had fused to bone and ligaments had to be broken free) and told that I would need a stick in future!!!!

Anyway, 18 months later I walk without a limp, wear short skirts (so long as I have tights on) and I will be back on my (new to me) Honda CM125 this spring AFTER some lessons with a driving school (confidence shot to f..k). Hubby has my old bike...you see I didn't want that one, I wanted a "Harley" type and I can only assume she knew that and "threw" me down the road. He loves her, had never ridden a bike before and took to it like a duck to water. Me, I had years of experience when I was a good bit younger, and to quite frank with you, in those days you wouldn't have been seen dead on a 125! 

However, and this is really important, today's 125s are fast, they are built well and designed to get the maximum speed out of a small engine..... in short, bloody dangerous!

Mind you, my 14 year old "Harley" style ride is just georgous, lots of chrome and slow as anything, in short just right for an ageing rock chick!  LOVE IT!

Be safe,

Aly

I have been on and around bikes all my life, and I would not recommend that anyone get on one without some RECENT experience.....I thought I could, and nearly lost my leg, job etc. and it has taken me over a year to get my life back!!!!

I wanted to have a bike when I was younger and as I got older self preservation kicked in, maybe ...

We get so many Dutch and German couples of a certain age on their Honda Goldwings ( please don't shatter my illusions, I think they are the bees knees!) , makes me just want to rebel and disappear.[:D]

I know what you mean re: training, a few years ago now I got on my nephews Yamaha Virago to ride it up the lane near his home in Stafford, last time I had ridden anything it was my vespa when I was 16.....well I took off, first in one direction then overcorrected and headed to the other ditch...finally got it in a straight line, all the time my nephew was running up the lane shouting.."don't hurt my bike" Glad that you have recovered well and are not put off by the experience[:)] i was just about to check out a couple of sites for training reccommended by 'bigbear'[;-)] and Tresco when I saw your post, I now think it will be my goal to get the training at least, I have followed some of the rideouts on BobT's web log and I can see there is a lot of fun to be had out there.

best regards

Dave

Thanks for all the advice, I have had a look and may well enrol in a Direct Access 5 day course, I will need to pass a theory test and I just had a free online trial here, I passed with 33 out of 35, maybe you bikers out there should go and have a go. It was quite easy, although the ones I got wrong were 50/50 answers for me.[:D]

http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/home/

best regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Welcome to the world of biking!  Once you're here, you won't be able to leave!

Training is key.  If you can speak French, then you can do it all over here.  Otherwise you'd have to take an intensive Direct Access (DAS) course back in the UK.  With one day for compulsory basic training (CBT), then four days for the DAS course and practical test, you'll come out with a full category A bike licence.

The training will set you up to be a smooth and safe rider in all conditions - and it'll show you just what a crap car driver you've been up to now....[;-)]

You will use a 125cc for the first day's training (combination of school playground manoeuvering and road riding), then a 500cc twin (Honda CB500 or Suzuki GS500) for the rest of the course.  You will find that the 500s are much smoother and easier to ride than the smaller bikes. 

In terms of your first bike, the 125 is an excellent choice, but once you really get hooked, you will probably want something a bit bigger and more powerful. 

But don't let that put you off - you can always upgrade to the bike of your dreams.....[:D]

To take the bike test in France am I right in assuming that I would have to exchange my English license for a French one?

My story is that I started to take my test about 14 years ago when I decided that it would be more convenient to use to shoot off to small maintenance jobs for my London clients.

I passed my CBT using a CB125 Honda that did the rounds of most of my friends, then in quick succession I lost 2 friends and also my instructor (who was the world's safest rider) in motorcycle accidents.

The thing that finally made me decide that it just was not worth the risk was when I changed lanes in a London traffic jam (impatiently to gain only a few yards in hindsight) and nearly knocked off a motorcyclist.

And I thought that I was especially aware of the dangers to bike riders.

However perhaps now is the time to get back on the saddle in a safer country where I could ride for pleasure not to get to the next appointment. They actually do training of learners (riding around cones etc) in the car park opposite me, I assume that this is the equivalent of CBT?

[quote user="J.R."]

To take the bike test in France am I right in assuming that I would have to exchange my English license for a French one?

If you live here life is a lot easier with a French licence, I know it costs money but other than that I can't understand why so many people resist changing.

However perhaps now is the time to get back on the saddle in a safer country where I could ride for pleasure not to get to the next appointment. They actually do training of learners (riding around cones etc) in the car park opposite me, I assume that this is the equivalent of CBT?

I'm not sure the roads are any safer in France for motorbikes. there seem to be a lot of different dangers especially in the countryside. I particularly like the local enthusiam for covering melted tar with lorry loads of scalpings and the mysterious 'priorite a droit' rules in some villages

[/quote]

I think the reason many people "resist" exchanging their UK licence for a French one is because there's no point in doing so.  The UK licence is valid for France and unless you are approaching 70 years of age, then having a French licence provides no additional benefits that would justify the cost as well as the time taken to organise the exchange.

JR:

There are, of course, risks involved in riding a motorcycle anywhere, but the simple fact that traffic is far lighter here works in our favour.  The main recognised factors in UK motorcycle accidents are excessive speed and the "failed to see" type of collision.  Excessive speed is down to you, of course,but in my experience here, the general compliance with give way rules (big penalties if they don't) means the risk of people pulling out of side roads in front of you without looking is less critical. 

In the end, you always ride to the conditions....and priorite a droite is the same for everyone.[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I think the reason many people "resist" exchanging their UK licence for a French one is because there's no point in doing so.  The UK licence is valid for France and unless you are approaching 70 years of age, then having a French licence provides no additional benefits that would justify the cost as well as the time taken to organise the exchange.

Don't agree. With the demise of the old Carte De Sejour having some identity with a photo and a valid French address is useful for all sorts of things. Everyone to their own, I suppose

JR:

There are, of course, risks involved in riding a motorcycle anywhere, but the simple fact that traffic is far lighter here works in our favour. 

Yes, I agree that lighter traffic conditions mean the roads are in general safer for motocyclists but if returning to motorcycling after a long time I would thing it wise to be aware of the dangers and possibly get some training. Don't be complacent just because the roads are quieter.

The main recognised factors in UK motorcycle accidents are excessive speed and the "failed to see" type of collision.  Excessive speed is down to you, of course,but in my experience here, the general compliance with give way rules (big penalties if they don't) means the risk of people pulling out of side roads in front of you without looking is less critical. 

In the end, you always ride to the conditions....and priorite a droite is the same for everyone.[;-)]

Except for some of the infrequent drivers who don't realise the priorities have changed

[/quote]

With the demise of the carte de sejour, you now have to carry your passport with you as proof of identity - and it has a photo.  The French driving licence is not acceptable as proof of address, because you aren't obliged to update it when you move house.

Getting some decent refresher training after a long layoff from riding is an absolutely common sense move.