Any BMW bikers out there?

Sunday Driver

Now that we're not doing the big transcontinental trips any more, the time has come to sell the Pan.

I've seen a BMW R850R roadster which looks quite handy - lighter than the Honda and better suited for our biking needs nowadays.   Mrs Sunday's already bought me the pipe and slippers (wrapped up under the tree) so I'm giving it serious consideration.

Anyone had any experience of this bike or even an R1150R/R1200R?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a Pan?  Anyone reading this don't forget - Mr SD wants to know your experience of big BMWs.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/moto242006a.jpg[/IMG]

MotoGP 2006 visitors above, bikers heading away from Le Mans through Alençon below.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/motogp12006.jpg[/IMG]

SD, you have hit a nail on the head there. Jude and I have a BMW each. I bought my first new BMW bike at the age of 18 and still have one now at the age of 48. I have had many in between.

Check out our blog and you will find an eamil address there. There are also a couple of links to BMW forums. If you want to chat then send an email and I'll reply with my skype contact, or give me your landline number and I'll contact you.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Anyone had any experience of this bike or even an R1150R/R1200R?

[/quote]

I've ridden both and prefer the 1200, but it's still a heavy bike and the non-dipping front end and the braking system take some getting used to.

I'm not sure how much weather protection you want but have you seen the new Triumph Tiger (198 kg)

www.triumph.co.uk

That is awful.........................................

I hope it's not yours........................

Now This is how a bike should look...................

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/F4Tamb_2.jpg[/IMG]

MV F4 Tamburini

Oh yes, Please Santa.........................................

hi  SD. Don't have a BMW, we have the 1300 Pan as you know, but i did test ride the BMW 1150RT a couple of months ago. It didn't actually feel lighter when riding it, and the 'throw' from the horizontal twin accelerating out of corners would, i think, take some getting used to. If its a lighter ride you are looking for, I suggest you have a test ride yourself. The BMW dealer in Perigueux was more than happy to let me ride anything in the showroom.....perhaps there's someone near you who would do the same. Though I did not choose one, there is no doubt its a great bike and, I am told, a vast improvement on the 1100RT it replaced.

mike

I have an R1200RT and is much improved over my R1150RT.  More power, lighter and more economical - this should hold true for the R1200R.  I rode120miles to Stanstead  in the rain with no problems - left the bike there and took a £70 return (It is Xmas) to Poitiers since parking your bike at Stanstead is free - the only problem I had was a drip, drip of rain 'cos the new visor did not seal.  This problem will be solved on my return.  I have ridden to Chef-Boutonne via BF/P&O from Portsmouth, Speedferries and Eurotunnel - this has been binned in favor of cheap flights with the bike kept for our trips to Spain, Morrocco and Italy.

Hi SD and a Merry Christmas.  My OH has had five Bmw's, his last one R1150RT which he loved.  Sadly it got a little heavy for him and he worried when on a bad camber. One of his bike buddies has a Pan European and he would love one of these !

Here are both bikes in the Massif Centrale, April this year.  Brrrrr !

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/pips_bucket/MassifCentrale.jpg[/IMG]

Hope you get the bike of your dreams !

Not for me either, I don't mind rain, but snow and ice, no thank you.

I saw an article in a bike magazine once that contained 100 tips from readers. One tip was simply

"If you are riding home from work in the snow and you haven't fallen off, stop and park your bike now, 'cos you will"

This is slightly better bike weather..............................

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/CaenTour2006.jpg[/IMG]

bugbear

brilliant picture!  the bikes look wonderful and the bikers don't look so bad either.  best of all, it's a lovely picture to see this morning when the welsh weather and the "morning-after" feeling weigh heavily.

your picture makes me think of sunshine and beautiful old french towns and what i'm going to be eating for lunch!

thank you bugbear, i can now see there is life after boxing day