quad laws

Meduse

Sorry, I have no idea about the law on this, but:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

try to avoid turning tracks for walking into muddy no-go areas!  I speak as one who has had to abandon two or three lovely walks in the last year as they are just too disgusting to use after quaddies had churned them up[:(].

This isn't meant to be inflammatory [blink] but is a sincere plea.

Enjoy your quadding

Chrissie (81)

If it is licenced you can you it on surfaced roads/tracks that can be travelled by an ordinary car or van.

To use it on any other public tracks, forest fire breaks, or footpaths is illegal.

You can of course use it on private property with the landowners permission.

As far as I'm aware, around here there is no distinction between footpaths and VTT routes. I understood it is in the power of the Maire or Commune to decide to limit the use of any path or road and I do, occasionally, come across a sign which specifically prohibits motorised vehicles and sometimes VTTs but unless it is clearly marked, at the moment bikes, quads and 4x4s can use the same routes as everyone else.

I'm not a fan of quads (can't see the point of them) but to be fair to them, due to their wide tyres, they tend to cause less damage than bikes and 4x4s. This may also be due to the fact that most of don't seem to have enough power to spin the wheels. Most of the serious damage to tracks in this area is caused by tractors and hunters vehicles.

By the way, your quad would need to be registered and insured (and comply with the 'code de la route')  

My 4X4 does not spin its wheels either, but I need it to get up the tracks to my house.

I do not have a quad but am happy for people to drive them around here if they wish. I am not a fan of dogs being walked in the wood though, I don't see the point of keeping a dog as they disturb the wildlife. I have the air rifle ready for any dogs that stray onto my land.

Everyone to their own.

I can see the attraction of zipping around on your own land on a quad bike, but not in public places. I think that people who use these machines are inherently selfish.

I love the peace and tranquility of the countryside and don't like to have it disturbed by some loon gadding about on a quad bike.

I have the same dislike of jet skis too. We can always tell when the Parisiens have arrived because people with more money than sense and no thought for any one elses safety ( they ride them far too close to the shore ) start whizzing about and the noise that just one of these things can make is frankly atrocious.

I may appear a grumpy old woman but I think they are antisocial and personally I think that they should not be allowed in public places without a very good reason.

EDIT sorry if this has come across as a personal attack on the OP, I haven't meant it that way.... I just hate the bl**dy things [:$]

Thanks Chrissie

The tracks that we'll use the quad on also have cars, motorcross bikes, quads, massive log lorries, tractors and cycles using it and it never gets churned up. It's properly surfaced with chalky "stuff". so please be assured we won't be churning anything up.

Janet.

Hi Janet

To answer your questions first. If your quad is road legal ie regestered and insured then yes you can use it on any type of road or open track.

If however it is not a regestered quad then you can only use it on private land and even then you should have third party insurance.

As  for the rest of you who have a down on quads!!!!!! I am a quad rider. I use my quad as I can no longer ride a bike because I had my legs smashed by a car driver who had better things to do than look where he was going.

I cannot beleive some of the things being said!! 

I'm not a fan of quads (can't see the point of them) "    Thats fine you can have your opinion, but as you say they cause less damage than a 4x4 or a tractor.

"I think that people who use these machines are inherently selfish."  So you think I am selfish do you?? and what do you do that makes you so righteous?

"I love the peace and tranquility of the countryside and don't like to have it disturbed by some loon gadding about on a quad bike." Selfish and a loon!!!!

I have the same dislike of jet skis too. We can always tell when the Parisiens have arrived because people with more money than sense and no thought for any one elses safety ( they ride them far too close to the shore ) start whizzing about and the noise that just one of these things can make is frankly atrocious. If you have such a dislike for this type of machine then WHY did you look at this thread in the first place. [edited by the moderating team] Get a life and leave others to enjoy theres..

As for this post. I wont even begin to tell you what I think of this!!!!!!!

I am not a fan of dogs being walked in the wood though, I don't see the point of keeping a dog as they disturb the wildlife. I have the air rifle ready for any dogs that stray onto my land.  OK you just try taking a potshot at MY dog [edited by the moderating team]

Dogwood

[quote user="dogwood"]

"I think that people who use these machines are inherently selfish."  So you think I am selfish do you?? and what do you do that makes you so righteous?

"I love the peace and tranquility of the countryside and don't like to have it disturbed by some loon gadding about on a quad bike." Selfish and a loon!!!!

I have the same dislike of jet skis too. We can always tell when the Parisiens have arrived because people with more money than sense and no thought for any one elses safety ( they ride them far too close to the shore ) start whizzing about and the noise that just one of these things can make is frankly atrocious. If you have such a dislike for this type of machine then WHY did you look at this thread in the first place. Unless it was just to show how SELFISH YOU ARE!!!! Get a life and leave others to enjoy theres..

Dogwood

[/quote]

Nice second post Dogwood and welcome to the forum [:(]

The countryside if for EVERYONE to enjoy, I cannot enjoy it when I am in fear of being run over by a quad bike.

I like the tranquilty of the countryside, I cannot enjoy it with the noise of a quadbike.

If everyone decided to race around the country side on quadbikes, then I dread to think what state the countryside would be in.

I happen to think that they are every bit as antisocial as loud music blaring from stereos and that if people had any thought for their fellow man then they would perhaps think again before inflicting a lot of noise in pursuit of their fun, on other people, but quad bikers don't do they ? It's all me, me, me and MY rights and sod the majority that don't want to listen to them. That's why I think they are selfish.

A do have a life thanks, a very nice one made all the better for not sharing it with inconsiderate, selfish oafs on quad bikes!

Hi Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Ride my quad legaly and responsably I do not go were I'm not supposed to.

But I get VERY annoyed at being called an Inconsiderate selfish oaf by someone who has nothing better to do than have a down on other people's pastime

Dogwood

We have a VTT running alongside one boundary of our property. It is used by all manner of vehicles, 4x4's, Quads, Trail Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Horse Riders and Hunters. In five years we have not had a single situation of bad or noisy use. Users of these vehicles always show respect to both the environment and walkers by riding/driving slowly when passing property and stopping when meeting dog walkers or horse riders. It's all about consideration and respect isn't it. (by both sides)

The point about damage by 4x4 tyres is utter rubbish. My Jeep tyres are wider than any quad ever built and cause minimal damage to the environment provided they are used properly.

There are, of course, idiots about and I would even include a few of the 'red sock' brigade in that, but my experience here has proved that there is space for everyone without recourse to any of this classic 'brit' attitude of 'I don't like that, lets ban it' mentality.

Live & Let Live............................................and smile a bit........................[:)]

[quote user="dogwood"]

I think Jeeps should be banned....

I hate them. [;-)][:)]

[/quote]

What sort of comment is that....................................[8-)][:D]

My Jeep was running a little hot the other day.I took it into the garage and they removed a quad bike & rider, four ramblers, two mountain bikes and a sanglier from out of the radiator grille...............................................[:)]

As said before we all have our likes and dislikes. If you dislike people with quads getting too close to you then buy all the land around you and it is then private. If people with legal quads want to come and mess around on the PUBLIC tracks around my house they are welcome. If they wanf to walk their dogs on PUBLIC land, that is none of my business. While they are doing it I have no problem if they want to stray onto my land with a quad, it does not worry me, but I do not want dogs on MY land and I will take measures to remove them.

Public land is for those to use as they choose within the law. If you buy a house with a public track outside your lounge window then you have no complaint if anyone uses that track legally.

Dogwood, I'm a very keen and frequent trail bike rider and only have limited experience of riding quads. I find four wheels with a handlebar a bit odd to say the least. In your case, you have have good reason to ride a quad and the best of luck to you.

Bugbear, I also find in france that all users of the countryside are fairly responsible. in my experience all bike riders (and quad'ists) slow down and move over when approaching horses or pedestrians. Of course there are the odd illegal users on a motocross bikes as there are a few drunken hunters. There is a little bit of snootiness from some walkers and horse riders but much less than in the UK 15 years ago.

Beryl, if you are expecting to have exclusive use of your bit of the countryside then rural France is not the place (certainly around here anyway). During the week, depending on the time of year, the forests are full of chainsaws, tractors, all manner of agricultural machinery and logging trucks. At weekends there are hunters (with dogs), walkers (with dogs), VTTers and, of course, we cursed trail bike and quad riders.

Bob T, you entitled to your view. we take our dog for a long walk in the forest everyday and she's managed to dodge the snipers for 11 years so far.

The reference to me not liking dogs was at first to highlight the narrowminded views that quads were in some way unacceptable. The point of bringing up dogs was to show that anyone can have a dislike and others may have a passion for something, but any passion could be another persons dislike.

As for dogs, I don't have one. I believe if anyone is walking a dog in the woods, then they should keep control of it and not let it roam on other peoples property. We have foxes and deer on our land and I would be very upset if they were disturbed by an out of control dog. Do I shoot to kill? Well yes, but with my skills it turns out to be shoot to scare off. I am legally allowed to have an air rifle to control vermin. Define vermin. If the dog is on my land scaring the foxes and risking them harm then in my opinion that dog must be a stray as the owner is not there to restrain it.

It is dead easy, if I buy a quad, I won't drive it on your land as it would disturb you, so don't do the same with your dog.