First day out with dodgy leg

Charlotte3

Tomorrow is the day!

Visited the doctor for my last check up on my leg today, received my cover note from the insurance company, bought the protective knee pads, so everything is ready to go tomorrow for my first outing on the small but perfectly formed cm125.

Wish me luck,

Aly

(Sorry to be such a wuzz, but I'm really really nervous)....OH hasn't helped, he's planning to take his test  because his bike's "far too small"..yadda yadda yadda!

Let me know how you get on. I have been in a full length cast  (bum to toe) for the past six weeks, which has just been changed to one from below the knee to toe (ruptured Achilles Tendon) for another three weeks, then a cast and boot (and maybe walking!!!!), I have a new new starter to fit to the Ducati, and can't get down the stairs to the garage to fit it, and the sun is out! Even then I wont know when I'll have the strength in my toes to change gear. Jealous? Me? YEP!!! Hope it all goes OK

I really shouldn't depress you by telling you this but...

About 10 years ago I got kicked by a horse and she broke my tibia in half.  It took ages to heal and I too, had a full length plaster (for 3 months) and it was 6 months before I was mended (theoretically) and could go back to work.  So, the Sunday before I was due to be gainfully employed again, I fell over in my driveway and yes... it broke again in exactly the same place.  6 more months confined to barracks...

Bon courage, you guys!

The real choker, I am due to drive a March F2  car at Goodwood, and guess who isn't going to be able to push the clutch down!!! On the up side, once the boot goes on, and I can walk again, I can keep the thing on for a while a strengthen it all, and be FAR more cautious!!!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]The real choker, I am due to drive a March F2  car at Goodwood, and guess who isn't going to be able to push the clutch down!!! On the up side, once the boot goes on, and I can walk again, I can keep the thing on for a while a strengthen it all, and be FAR more cautious!!!
[/quote]B*mm*r![:(]

• 2 weeks later...
So how did the ride and the leg go in the end???

I've managed to get hold of an American "Aircast" leg brace, which I am hoping the surgeon will let me use, it has a built in sole, I could walk again or the first tie in two months!![:-))]

Erm....mine were caused by a bike.....sorry! I've let the side down, haven't I?

Thanks guys for asking, I've been putting off posting for fear of being considered a total coward.

I got myself all padded up, got on my wee (small but perfectly formed) bike.......and completely lost my nerve!!!! Oh,  the shame!

Seriously, I was a nervous wreck, my mind went completely blank...do you think it's some sort of trauma?

Normally I'm a "get on with it" sort of person, and I certainly have no patience for my own physical failings ( 3 operations on the leg, 2 years of physio and an attitude my OH describes as "bloody minded").

Because the tendons and ligaments are fused below the knee, I have limited toe movement.....really tricky for gear changes. There's a big step in my gearbox, so that was Bl....y painful. The whole time, at the back of my mind was the thought that because I nearly lost the leg, perhaps I should just leave it...you know, do the sensible thing.  But then I'm not a sensible person, if I was I wouldn't be here in France would I? There's also the question of my bike... I love the wee thing to bits, spent literally 2 years polishing it, I even had it serviced just to keep it well.  I was even out polishing it while out of my head on morphine for goodness sake! 

So, I had a word with a driving instructor. Wait for it.....he suggested I should charge around on No2 daughter's scooter for a few months just to get my confidence back, if I can stand the shame! 

He also thought that an automatic gearbox is the thing. Do any of you know if this is possible on a bike?  My bike isn't big or worth much, but she is a limited edition and retro and georgeous, so if anyone has any ideas I'd really welcome them.

I can't believe I nearly lost not only my job but also my leg and therefore our livelyhood in France by speeding on a little country lane which was a really stupid thing to do. You guys can only imagine the pain of the injury and operations, not to mentions the physio which had to physically break the scar tissue which was bone deep and then keep the tendons etc moving  before they healed up again.  It has taken me 2 years to get the joint reasonably mobile, but I still can't use that leg to lift myself from a kneeling position. I must NEVER kneel on it because of the skin graft, and if I break the skin on the graft, it's straight back to hospital. It's tricky because of my job and the fact that I have no feeling under my knee. I could graze the graft and not even feel it.

All this and I have my OH pointing out that I'm nearly fifty and should have more sense!

Anyway, this weekend I'm out on the dreaded scooter and perhaps a wee small outing on my beloved bike! (We'll then have a loved-up session where I'll do a lot of polishing and dreaming)

Thanks to you all for your support....I haven't given up yet,

Aly

You stick at it! I went out on my mates 600 Burgmann super scooter (100 mph with you feet forward, and no gear changes, all auto, weird!) and because of the little wheels, I soon learnt to think about what I was doing.

I'm worried about regaining the strength in my lower leg, and toes. I dislocated both knees in a racing accident at Thruxton, and this tendon thing is worrying, but your tale is an inspiration. I know I'd be nervous about pushing a car again, so it's totally understandable that your worried about riding a bike when that's where it happened.

All I'm thinking now is "oh please let me bend my leg, I can fit the new starter motor then!!"

After hearing what you've been through with your leg Charlotte I don't blame you for feeling as you do. I came off my bike last summer on the track up to our house and all I got was bad bruising, but it was enough to make me very very nervous on the bike for weeks after, and I still creep round the hairpin where I fell off. And the older one is the more it hurts and the longer it takes to heal! Using the scooter for a while sounds like sense to try and build some confidence. You keep at it girl!

Jude [:D]

New special boot turned up today

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/378a_1.jpg[/IMG]

Which is way bigger than I was expecting! Can't ride, or drive in that!!! But plaster is gone, and I can take this thing off to shower, and do my own physio', and I'm sort of walking already with crutches. OH has christened me "Robocop", so we're in the car tomorrow and going home to Belves for three weeks, and the new starter motor goes on, I'll be riding soon (well three monthsish!!)[:D]

Oh come on Steve. I had a plaster on, bigger than that, after a parachute accident once. I had no choice but to ride my bike home with it. The only pain was that sitting on the crutches while riding was very uncomfortable.

Thank you for your sympathy Bob!! No it is big, but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO comfotable after a succesion of plasters, including the first one which weighed 8 kilos!!. But your right BOB, I could just say it's a high tech motorcycle boot!!

Open the front pop your foot in, fix the front on and then pump up the little bladders inside for a perfect fit!! Luxury! Up tomorrow morning at 4 and on the ferry at 7 and we should be home by 5 tomorrow night. I am going to walk into St Cyprien market!!!!!

Thanks for all your support Guys, am now in the process of negociating time on No2's scooter, unfortunatley she's too old for the "I bought it so I'll ride it" argument!

I dare say a few folding euros will do the trick!

I'll keep you posted,

Aly

• 2 weeks later...
Just to show off, I walked today with only one crutch and the "techno boot", and if all goes well, I aim to be walking with just the boot by Sunday. The biggest problem is the desire to advance, and get back to normal against going too fast and mucking it all up!!!!

The car is calling me, as is that F2 March!!!!!!

Now, how's the daughter's scooter going Aly??