anyone into classic bikes

terry1956

Hi, what ever made you give up the triton, I have always wanted one, its on my wish list when I finish the T120R, that or an older harley 1200cc in police spec. I also have a trophy 900 but its a heavy bike and rides like an old dog, looked at a duke last year at a classic bike show auction, they had one but it came in to late so did not make a bid.

michael    

I didn't want to part with any of them, but there was a strong desire to buy in France, mortgage free (although someone managed to cock that up for us anyway!) The Triton was lovely to look at, and had some unique features. Five speed Quaiffe gearbox, Borrini ali' rims with HUGE 4 leading show drum brakes. It was as hard as hell to ride, very stiff in the suspension, and a real footfull to kick start and had a rock hard seat, but did it go!!!!, still Like my Paso now[:D]

Hi, nice pic of bike,My A10 is a 1956, just one day out from my birth date, It needs a fair bit of work but runs ok, The T120R I picked up from germany last year, I had one when I was 17, and just had to have one to play with for a time, I will sale it on or swap it when I have finished the rebuild. The triton was a bike I know looks better then it rides, My mate as 10 or 12 of the  things in his lock up, along with 60 or so other brit bikes from the early 50,s 60,s. All part of his pension fund..

Would like to have a look at the pics when you can post them, sounds like a great bike.

michael

Nice Paso - I have a 76 Ducati Darmah, a 1952 Bown Deluxe, and a 72 CZ Trail. Got rid of most other bikes before leaving Albion. Still have 11 bikes though. The new Ducati Classic looks nice but could do with a pokier engine. The new Supermoto is wild... Still like my 888 SP4 back - best bike I ever had but a liability as couldn't leave it anywhere in fear of it being nicked and it just encouraged you to do highly illegal speeds on country roads which were not healthy.

Hi terry,

Well my 'classic' which is more modern than some is a 82 Laverda Jota 120. The 180 seems to have a bigger following, being a little earlier and the 180 meaning a mad crank versus the 120's more refined system. Plus a hydraulic clutch versus cable on the 180... which is particularly brutal.

Trying to get the beast registered in France which you helped with on a separate post (I'm new here), so thanks.

Anyway, I suppose my point is that I've ridden lots of marques and models in 25 odd years... Giitane (look that one up) 50cc to start, first ever Yam 350, Honda 175 tiwn & 550/4, Ducati Darmah 900, Superdream (crushed :-)) Kawa 750, Harley Lowrider 1970, superb Suzuki 250 Gamma, 6 BMWs of various years including the latest (the best all round London commuting machine in my opinion).

And the only bike I've owned twice in that time? Two Laverda Jota 120's which are tricky to find a good example of.

And when I've been thinking about bringing it to France or not, I naturally picked up a few bike mags to see what's new. Ended up on a 1 hour test ride on a Triumph 675. Quite awesome and crazy to drive. Yet halfway through I was thinking, sell the Jota again? Only so many bikes have real soul. So classic works for me, though if I had the money I'd have a garage-full of carefully chosen beauts. (Hailwood Replica and MV Augusta perhaps?)

Funnily enough, possibly adjustable, but no real space given the tight fairing they're under. You're right, the sound is absolutely unique and LOUD which is why I can't get enough of it.. especially when it hits the cam-raising level of about 6000rpm. And that despite it having a last failed MOT done by a prat who said the fairing restricted the steering (passed numerous times over years by others and just as it was in 1982) and the tank wobbled (original unperished rubber mounting, what do you expect?).

Did you know Laverda began life building tractors. I've a feeling my motor might last for a bit yet.

well some good replys, I am going to the classic bike show at caen to see what the french get up to, nice triton by the way. I keep to classics as a plastic rocket would kill me these days, if i need a turn of speed i take out the m roadster. don,t understand the bit about the steering on the laverda, its a total joke on the truimph trophy, and with its high seat position and a full tank its a hand full at low speeds, michael  

In the 60s everyone was building Tritonsor Tribsas,  To be different I went one better and built a Velton, A Velo Thruxton engine/Gearbox into a wideline featherbed frame Reg no VRM 364. Had to drasticaly modify the frame, top & bottom RH frame tubes to accomodate the unit and also had problems with the G/B Sprocket chain alignment. took 2 years to build and boy did it handle.

Interesting, I think that a few engines went into the featherbed frame, I have seen a harley engine in the frame and that was a good looking bike, I have never been on a feather bed so called due to its soft ride, yet all the triton owners who use the said frame say its as hard as nails,  I have a mate with a Tribsas will ask him for a ride when I am back in the UK, to get the low down on this frame. michael