Silly Question!

Sara

My husband & I need to consult with a notaire on a number of questions in the very near future.

Just a quick & perhaps obvious question - apologies in advance!

Is it standard practice that one has an initial consultation meeting with the notiare (or notaires) to establish what can be done, whether he can help and how much it will cost? And that such an initial consultation meeting is always free of charge?

I intend to obtain quotes from a selection of notaires but will need to convene some initial consultation meetings with them to achieve this......

Am I correct in saying the little tinkers cannot spring a bill on you for just talking at this stage?

Thanks, Sarah

[quote user="Sara"]My husband & I need to consult with a notaire on a number of questions in the very near future.

Just a quick & perhaps obvious question - apologies in advance!

Is it standard practice that one has an initial consultation meeting with the notiare (or notaires) to establish what can be done, whether he can help and how much it will cost? And that such an initial consultation meeting is always free of charge?

I intend to obtain quotes from a selection of notaires but will need to convene some initial consultation meetings with them to achieve this......

Am I correct in saying the little tinkers cannot spring a bill on you for just talking at this stage?

Thanks, Sarah[/quote]

Hi,

Most notaires will give a 30 minute free rendez-vous for discussion only, but make sure by asking beforehand.

Do not be misled by English conveyancing practice into thinking that notaires play the same role as solicitors. The job of a notaire is to ensure that the contract between the seller accords with French law and to collect appropriate taxes for the French government. He does not act for you and it is usual for only a single notaire to be employed for a property transaction. A notaire may well give advice on aspects of the purchase agreement (succession and inheritance, marriage contract and so on) but he will not see his own role as adversarial.