UK Will before or after resident in France....

milkeybar kid

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Final visit tomorrow with the will in English, hand written, no problems there except with one word "predeceased".

I have stated that.... I Milkeybar kid wish that my wishes (blah blah blah) be acted upon only if both Mr MBK and little MBK have predeceased me in death. Notaire checked it over by email but is concerned by the word predeceased, as we only want the inheritor to have all if we are all dead.Please can u advise where I am going wrong![/quote]

Hi,

"Seulement si Mr MBK et petit MBK m'ont prédécèdé tous les deux, je voudrais que..............."

Sorry I'm a bit late coming to this thread.

When I checked with our solicitors who are part of a large group and who helped us with writing our wills in the UK whether or not our wills were valid when we moved to france permanently, I was told that they were valid for a period of three years from the date of permanent residence after that we must make french wills. (we don't own any property in the UK). We visited our local notaire who gave us a typed copy of what we needed to hand write which we have done at a cost of 140 euros for the two. Ours are fairly simple as we do not have any children - just each other and one m-i-l !

Chris

One can hand write and sign a french will and it is perfectly valid and quite free. The only thing is that it is not registered in Aix en Provence(if that is still where the central registry is held). Centrally registering a will is why it costs so much.

I don't know how the french would deal with a UK will for permanent residents in France, would they give a three year 'allowance'? I think it would depend on who you ended up dealing with.

Just answering my own question as I have done more research and found a very informative thread by parsnips on another forum and the answer is Yes you can appoint an executor. Thanks again Parsnips.

For us to lodge our Wills through the Notaire for the 2 , it will be a total cost of €150.00

Well, hoping this info might be of help to someone. Took testament in today but we have to re write the testament and return next week!The Notaire says what we have written as regards appointing executors was (I do stress here) for OUR circumstances was incorrect and would only cause possible complications.She explained that if you are like us Communaute Universalle the inheritors become automatically similar to executors , or the person in a testament that inherits. For our circumstances the name "executor" must not be written!An executor proper is named to control a happening if for example children are under age or some one that was severely handicapped and needs to be managed/helped but not a benifactor. Another point of interest she explained at length and said it no longer stood in France & UK and that was should you be in a disaster and all the family perished it is NO LONGER presumed that the youngest was the survivor. So for us who did not want sisters, brothers and cousins to inherit in case of all the Milkeybar kids kicking the bucket all at once we then make a testament for a non family member to inherit . But as she said if we were all in a disaster and Mr Milkeybar died Monday it would (because of Communaute Universalle) become Mrs Milkey bar Kid, but if She died on Wednesday it becomes the little Milkeybars. If the last survivor died then the testament kicks in to stop those other relatives!! Bit of a shock having to write long hand being used to computer!! But again the nice thing was its acceptable in English. She also explained the €150, means the whole thing +testament about us is available to every single Notaire in France and she herself holds a copy. All very modern and official. Very re assuring. The only down side is because should the testament ever come into play as a penalty because we have disinherited blood relatives the inheritor will have to pay 60% tax! But we wont be around to complain!