CoC on a Tiger 1050

Hi all

Can anyone tell me where I obtain a CoC for a Tiger 1050, is it via the dealer, or direct from Triumph?

The next thing is, as it is a full power (but totally unmodified, apart from a dip beam HID unit) UK spec bike, is there anything that I have to change on the bike if I decided to import it?

And lastly, how long can I keep a vehicle in France before I have to register it there? I want to keep everything legal but timescales seem to work against me. I want to let out my UK house and move to France to complete the renovations on my house there. The minimum letting period will be 6 months, which means that even if I wanted to move back in under 6 months I won't be able to as I have nowhere to live! The plan is to get the French place complete and if everything works out, move over permanently, but until I have been here for that initial 6 months I won't know if that is going to be a reality.

Cheers

Rob G

The Tiger 1050 complies with EU type approval and under EU regulations, the manufacturer is required to issue owners with an EU certificate of conformity.

However...

Triumph UK are refusing to issue EU CoCs for bikes destined for export to France and instead, they insist that you contact their French subsidiary for a type approval attestation.  Triumph France will only issue the attestation on condition that you provide evidence that the bike has been restricted down to 100bhp and that a kph only speedo has been fitted (they refuse to accept dual kph/mph speedos even though they fully comply with French regulations).

The matter has previously been raised with Triumph UK, but they continue to ignore the EU directive so UK owners have no option but to comply with their demands.

Now the 'keeping everything legal' bits.....

If you live in the UK and you are merely visiting France, then you can ride the bike over here for up to six months in any twelve month period.  Once your time is up, you must either register it and pay the necessary taxes or remove it from French territory.

If you move over to France to live, then in order to ride the bike on the road here you must first obtain a carte grise for it. Provided you have obtained the required import VAT exemption certificate on the bike's arrival in France, you may ride it under it's old UK plates for up to one month whilst you complete the registration formalities.  

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

I am puzzled by the kph/mph speedo issue though, as the Tiger comes with a digital speedo that can be switched between kph/mph and the other functions that can be switched between metric/imperial/u.s. imperial? I am assuming that identical displays are fitted for all markets.

The 100bhp restriction is a pain though, not that I am a speed freak nowadays, but I just don't like the idea of an engine running at less than optimal operating efficiency. Maybe I will have to ride it around until autumn and then decide what to do. I will make enquiries about how the power is restricted, I know someone in the trade that is 'very knowledgeable' about all things Triumph.

Again, many thanks,

Rob G

Importing a motorcycle into France

The procedure for importing a motorcycle into

France is as follows:

1) Change your bike to French specifications, at any Triumph

dealer.

2) Send a copy of the invoice for labour and parts, plus your

vehicle registration document (V55) to:

Dominique Rivain

Triumph SA

19, Boulevard Georges Bidault BT G1

Croissy

Beaubourg

77437 Marne-la-Vallée

Cedex 2

France

3) Triumph France will then send you an "Attestation

d'Identification". This document is the confirmation from Triumph that

your bike conforms to French homologation rules. Take this document to

your local "Prefecture" to register your bike.

If you require any further information about this procedure,

please contact Dominique RIVAIN at Triumph France, tel: (+33) 1 64 62 38

http://www.triumph.co.uk/france/  

Ring Dominique and he will tell you what exactly needs to be changed on the Tiger. 

They will accept second-hand parts but they must be dealer-fitted.

The BHP limit is actually 106bhp Rob and you will not notice any difference on your Tiger. Its only a small additional stop arm fitted to the throttle-body to prevent the last 2-3mm of movement.

When you mention 115 euros, if you mean the fee charged by Triumph France for issuing the certificate of conformity then that's payable regardless of any work that needs to done to the bike.

If you object to the cost of the conversion over here, why don't you phone Dominique Rivain at Triumph France and ask him if he's prepared to accept a scribbled note from an unknown foreign mechanic rather than a proper certification of compliance with the code de la route from an approved Triumph dealer....[;-)]

Perhaps the term 'reputable Triumph mechanic' has a different meaning in France. If the work is done in the UK, and certified on Triumph headed paper, by a Triumph approved mechanic, with a French translation if required, and including the part numbers, is that acceptable to gain the required certification? Or does it have to be done in France by an unknown French mechanic who may, or may not, scribble on bits of paper. [:P]

It has to be said that according to local legend, a proportion of native French riders de-restrict their bikes anyway? [8-|]

I will contact the gentleman at Triumph France when the need arises, or have a word with the UK office, and see what I can find out.

Regards

Rob G

Just spoke to Triumph Customer Services.

Work that needs to be done?

Change the headlights.

French tune on the fuel injection to reduce the power to 106bhp.

Clocks will switch to kph, so they are ok.

That's it.

Seems simple enough, I can get the French tune done here anytime for almost 'free', and a set of used light units should be available somewhere if I search hard enough. I should even be able to hook my HID low beam unit back up afterwards.