Ryanair & Motorcycle Helmets

Bugsy

I suppose you could try wearing it - you could say you were a very nervous flyer [;-)]

EDIT:  Sorry, that wasn't very helpful

It seems that helmets aren't a problem bût they have to fit within the cabin luggage size of 56*45*25 cm and I doubt if a helmet would.

Some info on the Gatwick Airport site HERE just search for helmet

The following spring to mind....

Will the helmet fit within the hand luggage gauge?  If not, they may insist on you checking it in as hold luggage.

Will you be wearing bike gear?  If so, then the security check/pat down might cause a problem if they want to be awkward about armour.  A strip down, perhaps? [;-)]

I read on another forum of someone flying over from London City to the Isle of Man and hiring a bike there to ride the TT course.  In the end, he checked in a bag containing a change of underwear, his non-biking clothes and his carefully-wrapped helmet, and travelled in the rest of his biking gear (incl. boots). Apart from being a bit warm on the plane, it all went smoothly, apparently.

Thanks Guys,

Ryanairs limit is 55 x 40 x 20 so no chance there. [:@]

Ryanair say that I have to put it in the hold as 'sports equipment' @ £40.00 one way.[:@]

I think I'll do what Dave suggests and wrap one up in underwear and stick it in a bag in the hold.

I'll use my old Arai though not my new Schuberth.

Sorry Bugsy , I am unable to help with you specific question but , I am compelled to add that, with Ryanair your are not dealing with a normal company.

Michael O'leary is not a "decent Irishman"

Michael O'leary  (Ryanair)  and Peter Mandelsonn ( UK Government)

must be joined at the hip as they must be in the top ten of  "The most  poisonous men in the British isles"

ps.

I have a set of tools in Scotland,  ,another one in Spain, and one here in France because, Ryanair are also,  in the "ripoff business!"

Leo

Hi There,

I have taken helmets on as hand luggage (squeezed into a carry on bag) That was using a budget Czech airline and a few more well known carriers, but we are dealing with Ryanair here! They once charged me for 1 kilo excess baggage! Helmets do fit in overhead lockers.

I can't say what Ryanair would do, they are a law unto themselves.

I have taken my race helmets on many many flights, in a proper helmet bag (fleece lined and padded) and refused to let them go in the hold, as say a Simpson, with a beadall lining can't be banged about. Never had a quible. There's something called a helmet shell, which is a semi-rigid helmet case (in fact I think they are sold under the name HeadCase) which apprently you could put a helmet in the hold, but I still wouldn't.

Only time I couldn't get a helmet in the overhead locker, it went behind my legs for a two hour flight, and never caused any bother.

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update on this.

Having been told directly that I couldn't carry a helmet as hand luggage I put it in a soft travel-bag with my textile bike trousers and some foam padding wrapped around it. Paid an extra £15 to put it in the hold.

Checked in and when walking out to board the plane I couldn't believe the number of people carrying huge bags as 'hand luggage' [:@]

Just goes to show that 'doing the right thing' doesn't always work in your favour.

When asked to book my helmets into the hold, I usually just say yep, once you've signed to say that once you have buggered up £1000 worth of helmet, you'll replace it ASAP, and they have always let me on with it, having said that, only been asked to check it into the hold once!!