L’Union Européenne veut mettre fin au bridage des motos à 100 chevaux

Sunday Driver

Dans un memo publié aujourd’hui au sujet d’un projet de Directive, la Commission européenne indique vouloir supprimer le régime dérogatoire accordé à la France, lui permettant d’interdire l’immatriculation, sur son territoire, des motocyclettes de plus de 73,6 kilowatts (100 chevaux)*. La FFMC salue la victoire du bon sens européen sur les préjugés français !

http://www.ffmc.asso.fr/spip.php?article1998

Probably for the same reason she allows lumbering great behemoths of lorries trundle through provincial towns.  While the skill of the lorry drivers is often impressive...when it goes wrong it is likely to go horribly wrong.

At the moment I have two 600s, a 1000 and a 125 scooter so 349 rampant ponies at my beck and call. Whether I am on the 14hp scoot or the 145hp thou I respect the limitations imposed by the machinery, the environment and my own skills. Seems to work ok.

People get fixated at the power output of bikes.....very very rarely is this being fully employed...on a thou most of the time we are using 30 or 40 hp....it is nice to be able to twist and go rather than play tunes on a gearbox...however the reason I have the 600s is that every now and then you can explore the bounderies of their capabilities.

Horses for courses ....powerful bikes don't make much of an arguement for causation of accidents...not when compared to skills levels, maintenance and environment.

A poorly maintained sports 600 with an inexperienced 18 or 45 year old on board and out of comfort zone......that is 100hp of impending disaster.

A suzuki 1250 Bandit with an experienced pilot may only be 100BHP but it will pull tree stumps out torque wise. Unintimidating and very capable makes for a sensible and secure progress.

Size matteurs?

The only bike I've ridden in recent years which would exceed the 100cv limit was a k1300GT rated at 160cv. This bike really flies, by my standards anyway. It was from the BMW dealer in Perigueux and, I assume, was limited but would I know. I wouldn't buy one if it was going to have 54cv chopped off the full spec version despite the fact I'd probably use only 25% of the power available.

I think motorcycle deaths will rise slightly as digital use of the throttle seems to be a French motard trait, probably resulting from cutting their teeth on underpowered 50s. French riders often ask me about my KTM530 enduro bike, if I can hold it when it's fully open to which I reply I don't know never had it fully open - they seem to think the idea of actually being in control of the bike is something new.

Manufacturers will be pleased with the extra sales of high powered bikes. There is only so much posing you can do on a castrated Hyabusa or s1000RR