Renovating old bikes

Konrad

[quote user="Konrad"]We are in the Dordogne. I have been buying la vie de la moto fairly regularly but there never seems to be a Bourse near us. We seem to have the odd scooter rally but that is not for me. I will just have to keep looking.

[/quote]

That surprises me, OH is up that way quite often. Roughly where in the Dordogne are you?  The club 'Autrefois les Motards' near Sarlat is a good bunch of people

AUTREFOIS LES MOTARDS

Le Landers

24200 Sarlat

mail : [email protected]

Their website http://www.autrefoislesmotards.com/ is undergoing work, but they have got an outing on 25th & 26th September so it could be worth your going along to the meet-up point and having a chat

Otherwise there are bourses at Perigueuex and Bergerac every year, and at Brive. THE best bike bourse is at Sesquières on the outskirts of Toulouse, in March. People come from all over Europe. Aiguillon (47) on the first weekend of January is good too. See also http://www.motocollection.com/calendrier.htm for some dates.

Thanks Polly

We are on the border with the Gironde, near Montpon-Menesterol so a lot further West than Sarlat. I am not full time in France so may have easily missed the references to the meetings that you highlighted. I will check the la vie de la moto website and keep an eye out for those meetings.[:D]

Very good!

No it actually ran really really well, then the starter failed, and before I could get around to stripping it, re-painting the frame, re-building the engine etc etc etc, I injured my ankle, and now can't change gear, so it's a project for someone else now, and a very cheap one at that!!!

I hadn't mentioned it, I didn't think it was allowed to in a thread! I would be happy to get my money back. I paid £800, which for Ducati is very cheap. Saw one of these the other day on Ebay go for £1800, and it wasn't as good. I just can't bare to see it slowly rot away, it's been standing for four years (I turn the engine over and rotate the tyres), but I'm never home long enough to change the starter ( I have a new one), and the ankle needs something smaller to change gear on!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I can only assume the people with loads of old bikes in their barns do not read this forum. So it looks like I will be scrutinising la vie de la moto for local meetings and checking le bon coin and possibly ebay. Unfortunately this means I have to continue renovating the house and not playing with scrap metal. C'est la vie.

• 1 month later...