Legality of using high powered bike in France

jerrytlr

Hi all, I would like to import my K1300R to France, but obviously it is somewhat in excess of the 106bhp limit....

Assuming I can get insurance OK (declaring it as a full power UK spec bike of course), does anybody know exactly what the legality is regarding using it in France on UK plates?

Ideally, I would like in due course to import it formally and obtain the Carte Gris, would I have to restrict the power before I can do this, or is the Certificate of Conformity alone enough?

Any help/advice gratefully received....including recommendations for insurance companies!

BTW I am familiar with the import process for cars (I am in the process of importing two atm), my question relates only to the issue of having a bike with >106bhp.

TIA for your help,

Best regards,

Jerry

Some people have managed to register bikes with full power. Not sure about the legalities of that.

The legalities of riding on UK plates are the same as for a car. If you move here then you must get it French registered or ride it illegally.

Try going along to your local prefecture with the necessary documentation and see if they will issue a carte gris, if they do then you have no problem. If they don't then you will be required to get the bike restricted at a French BMW dealer.

Nice bike by the way.

The CV will be stated on the C of C so it will probably come down to nothing more than luck whether whoever deals with it at the Prefecture is switched on enough to notice or not and realise you need dealer confirmation that it has been restricted.

Gotta give it try though haven't you, they can only say 'non' and send you away to have it done.

The Certificate of Conformity is a European certificate and if you present it to the prefecture your bike will be matriculated. The number is taken from the CoC and checked on a database. It's all automatic. Bikes manufactured after 2004 should have a European CoC.

The K1300R has been EU type approved by the German TüV with a power rating of 129kW and that's what the TüV has notified to the approval authorities of every other EU member state.  When the prefecture inputs the EU type approval number from the CoC, the vehicles database will complete the carte grise with the details of that specific bike, ie at the EU approved power rating.

Once the carte grise is issued, the legality of the bike is not in question.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The K1300R has been EU type approved by the German TüV with a power rating of 129kW and that's what the TüV has notified to the approval authorities of every other EU member state.  When the prefecture inputs the EU type approval number from the CoC, the vehicles database will complete the carte grise with the details of that specific bike, ie at the EU approved power rating.

Once the carte grise is issued, the legality of the bike is not in question.

[/quote]

So was the 2005 Honda ST1300A Pan European but the Prefectures at Limoges and Poitiers would not accept the CoC as it was not on the database. Had to go through Honda France and get the bike restricted to 106HP at great expense.

Good luck with your K1300R.

Thanks everybody for your advice!

I was in the process of buying the K1300S, and have reluctantly backed out of the deal due to the uncertainty of obtaining the carte gris - it is pointless IMO buying the bike if it has to be restricted, and as this involves new throttle bodies etc., it would also cost a fortune!

So I have decided to go down a different route, and am buying a R1200GS instead - with 105bhp as standard....

I'll miss the power, but the GS will make up for it in other ways.

Cheers,

Jerry