French 100 (or 106?!) bhp limit abolished?

Frank OFyle

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 VFR800 in England and registering it in France. As it was originally an import (from Belgium?) it doesn't have the problem of mph speedo or lights dipping to the left. However, I understand it to produce about 108bhp which is obviously a couple of bhp over the 106 (or is it 100?) limit that France has imposed on pre-'03 imported bikes so it may have to be restricted accordingly. BUT..., I've now discovered that there's a possibility that France has now (or soon) lifted its bhp restriction for pre-'03 imported bikes. Does anyone know if this is true? Would be hugely grateful for clarification. Many mercis.

[quote user="Frank OFyle"]Thanks for that Mr (Sunday) Driver. Looked at it before but didn't understand a word. Does it confirm that the 100 or 106 bhp limit has been, or is soon to be, abolished?[/quote]

See this English language EU Press Release.  The relevent text is as follows:

On the other hand anticipated correlation between safety and power limitation for motorcycles could not be confirmed in several scientific studies. For that reason and in order to remove internal barriers to trade on the Union market, the option for Member States to mandate motorcycles to be limited to a maximum power of 74 kW will no longer be maintained. Other, more effective safety measures will be introduced to help reduce the high numbers of fatalities and injuries among riders of powered two-wheel vehicles in road accidents in the Union.

Since 1984, France has been allowed a derogation to limit motorcycles to a certain power on the basis of road safety.  That derogation is to be withdrawn but a timescale has yet to be published.

Frank, As you can see SD usually has all the relevent information at his fingertips! [:)]

As SD points out, no date has been announced for the removal of the power limit, BUT I had absolutely no problem registering my bike (not even with the headlamps). I have a 1998 Fi-W model, and whilst there was a small modification in 2000 with the addition of a catalytic convertor, I think the power output was unchanged on the pre-VTEC version.  

I started by writing a letter to Honda France telling them that I want to register the bike here. They sent back a form for me to complete and send back, together with a cheque for 100€. The form asked for details of all the "E" markings on lamps, mirrors, silencer, tyres etc etc. A couple of weeks after returning the form I received a Certificate of Conformity which allowed me to complete the registration; no need for any engine restrictions. I assume that the power excess over the limit is not significant (?). I don't know.

I did my registration in 2005, so the procedure may have changed, but I suggest that Honda themselves should be your first port of call. Try Honda UK first, as there have been cases on this forum where the UK company (for other makes too) do not charge for the CoC.

If you wish to ask me any questions about it please PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
Just for further information may I suggest you visit www.bikeclubfrance.com/

it is free to register and there is a whole section on this topic. No certs of conformity were issued

pre 2003. you need 10 posts to access it but believe me it is worth it. Just do an initial post then a few welcomes and you are there. This is an English speaking bike club for all in France and anyone who visits France or like you is a "frankofeel"

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Bugsy, I didn't know the 6bhp was an allowance, Moto Guzzi have a different ECU map for france and offered to have the bike back to install it. this was obviously going to cost a fair bit and there is also a 200 mile round trip to get the work done.

Incidentally, they also say the headlight is symmetrical and therefore, only needs screwing from left to right!

MCN must have it wrong I think thats the quoted hp for the earlier engine, all my paperwork says 103bhp see;

http://uk.motoguzzi.it/en_UK/prodotti/enduro/stelvio/stelvio_1200_4v/scheda_tecnica.aspx

They say 77KW which equates to 103.258hp. The bit that matters to me is torque and I tend to ignore max horsepower now-days, however, they are right about it being top heavy, you certainly feel it at walking speed.

I'm looking forward to riding on the wrong side of the road!

Thanks again for the info'

• 5 months later...
Urgent Advice Required. I am about to move to France and have my Honda SP1 crated and ready to ship. I have put it back to its original purchase condition i.e original pipes mapping etc which was EU specified at time of Import into Dubai. I am concerned about this 100 (106) bhp because as stock the SP1 is a tad higher than this and I am not sure Honda can restrict such and old girl. Any advice galdly welcome

I hate to burst your bubble SJD, but there are numerous cases of people with bikes like yours who have failed completely to secure french registration.

Thats not to say its not worth trying but don't hold your breath.

There have been several members of this forum who have successfully registered their over 106bhp bikes here. 

If your SP1 has an e* number marked on the frame showing that it is an EU type approved model, then you should apply to Honda UK for an EU certificate of conformity which will allow you to register the bike without any power modification.   The only caution is to first make sure you can obtain insurance for a full power model.

If it doesn't have an e* number, then you need a national type approval certificate (attestation d'identifcation) from Honda France which will involve you providing them with evidence that the bike has been restricted down to the 100/106bhp limit and that it has a headlamp and kph speedometer which comply with the code de la route.  A dealer letter will usually suffice.  SP1s can be restricted down by replacing the inlet trumpets at a typical cost of around 25€. 

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

There have been several members of this forum who have successfully registered their over 106bhp bikes here. 

[/quote]

Thats true SD, but big Honda sports bikes (Fireblades - SP1's etc) are notoriously problematic and Honda France are not the most helpful.

Even a partial CoC doesn't help as 'e' number checks on virtually every part on the bike are the norm with these machines, irrespective of their origin.

I won't even mention Triumph...............[:P]

Sorry, but why would 'e' number checks on virtually every part on the bike be the norm? 

If SJD's bike is an EU type approved model, then by definition, it will have all the necessary 'e' numbers - that's what the EU CoC certifies.  My Suzuki was EU type approved and Suzuki France issued an EU certificate (free of charge) without any parts checks.

As for older bikes, when I obtained my partial attestation for my pre-EU Honda Pan there was no mention by Honda France of any requirement for 'e' number checks on all the bike's parts.

If you think about it, something like an original 1960's bike would have no 'e' numbers on any of the parts....[;-)]

Sorry, but why would 'e' number checks on virtually every part on the bike be the norm? 

[/quote]

My knowledge on this is limited to the three people I actually know who tried and eventually gave up, plus the reading of threads on the various Honda forums about this particular problem.

As for older bikes, when I obtained my partial attestation for

my pre-EU Honda Pan there was no mention by Honda France of any

requirement for 'e' number checks on all the bike's parts.

[/quote]

I did say 'Sports' bikes SD, and a 'Pan' is hardly that.

Anyway my reason for posting was only to advise the OP that he may have problems, thats all.

With my VFR I had to list all of the E numbers on mirrors, lamp lenses, exhaust, spark plug caps etc etc on the form which Honda sent me. Is that what you mean by E number checks? Other than being a bit of a pain to get to some of them it wasn't really difficult. BUT the VFR doesn't really fall into the high-power sports bike either I guess. I didn't need any dealer intervention/confirmation.

Thanks for all the notes of encouragement.

We drive on the wrong side here in Dubai or the same side as France so headlight OK for france and speedo is in KPH so that those areas sorted. I will check out the bike today and see if there are any E/EU markings. I know end cans have EU all over them so would suspect that bike was originally destined for EU before 5 of them made there way to Dubai.

I will be back as they say but thanks again to all

OK.. I have checked out the SP1 and all major compnanets have a E number, ie headlighgts, wing mirrors, exhausts, frame etc..... I am going to get Honda Middle East to issue a Certificate of Authentication whihc hopefully Honda France will accept...

Let us wait and see 4 weeks to shipping date.......