Pyrenean Basecamp Tour 2011

Bugsy

I, along with others, am putting together plans for a one-week 'basecamp' tour of the Eastern Pyrenees.

Dates have yet to be finalised but around end of June, beginning of July.

Plan is to camp at Aix de Thermes for the week will days out to Andorra, Spain etc, whatever you fancy. You can even 'take the waters' if the aches are too much.

Contact me direct if you have an interest in coming.

Gary.

• 1 month later...
Well, we are finally setting off tomorrow with a couple of friends and meeting up with about eight others at Ax Les Thermes in the Pyrenees for a weeks camping.

Ibuprofen & Paracetomol packed.

Any suggestions for interesting places to visit welcome.

Gary.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Well, we are finally setting off tomorrow with a couple of friends and meeting up with about eight others at Ax Les Thermes in the Pyrenees for a weeks camping. Ibuprofen & Paracetomol packed. Any suggestions for interesting places to visit welcome. Gary.[/quote]

Mont Canigou![:D]

A group of us from Devon and Cornwall are on the Plymouth ferry to Santander tomorrow (Sunday) we intend to do a couple of days exploring the mountains before travelling up through France to Roscoff. There are 7 bikes, mostly BMW GSes but I am on my ST1100 and a mate is on his 1600GT. Hope the weather is good [:)]

Good, oh yes, forecast to be very, very hot (mid to high 30s on Sunday & Monday). Be prepared! I really struggled on my bike in these sort of temperatures coming back from Catalunya to the Hautes Pyrénées last summer, drained by the time we got home. The mountain temperatures were not much more forgiving than that on the plain .....

Bonne route à tous.

CBC65

We came back a day early as the weather turned bad. Packed up wet tents, donned full waterproofs and set of on the 570 kilometre run home.

Went into the tunnel just north of Foix with black threatening clouds above, came out of the tunnel to clear blue sky and bright sunshine. It was like something from 'The lion, the witch and the wardrobe' [:D]

Finally got home at 17.00 after a few 'anti-ache' stops.

BTW: If anyone is travelling on the A20 north and sees anyone at the peage near Brive wearing an expensive pair of vario-focal glasses they are mine. They could be on the low wall, on the right, just after the toll booth.

Slightly strange was that I didn't notice them missing for a couple of kilometres [8-)]

A 6 minute video of part of the run from Del la Casa in Andorra down to Ax les Thermes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wj4KTAoj-M

Good trip but its nice to be home, now I just have to clean the machine.