New proposals

Bugsy

This is 'Connexions' take on the new proposals

Article

You have to laugh at some of it.

"Users of two-wheeler of more than 125cc face having to wear jackets with reflective bands or high-visibility jackets to make them easier to see if they fall off their machines. Non-use will mean the loss of two points from the licence"

I used to wear those 'shiny-bands' when I took my cycling proficiency test as a ten-year old.   

Why would it be necessary to make riders easier to see when they fall off ?

"Motorcycle numberplates will be made larger so they can be traced more easily for speed offences. New plates will be 275x200 mm and will be fitted to new or newly-registered vehicles. Any numberplate that does not conform to regulations (car or motorcycle) will face a €135 fine."

Answer, don't change your bike 

I assume you are saying that the Connexions have made a cods of interpreting/translating the proposed legislation, or is it really concerned with riders that fall off? - I havnt seen the French text.

They used to send me free copies of Connexions and IIRC "The French News", it was always good for a laugh [:D]

I received my regular newsletter from French-Property.com today which has a link to their article about the new proposals. There it once again reports that certain GPS devices, including TomTom, have a radar detection facility, which is to be banned;  actually detection is already banned, but more importantly I don't know of any SatNav which does this detection!! They all work, as far as I'm aware, by reporting recorded sites of radar installations, information which until now was freely available! More mis-reporting!

I fail to see how a reflective device worn by a rider makes it any safer on the roads; if people can't see headlights then I don't really think they'll see the vests or whatever!

Still, this has all been said before! [:@]

Another aspect is a much larger number plate 27cm x 20cm. (that is the current rectangular car size)

The picture below shows the current legal bike plate above and the new sized plate below.

Should be interesting trying to fit that to a modern bike [:D]

I tried that big plate on my bike and it won't fit between the stock indicators.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/P1000638.jpg[/IMG]

This is all at a time when Germany are planning to reduce the size of bike plates [Www]

• 5 weeks later...
Its protest day tomorrow.

We are going to the Poitiers event, held at the Exhibition Park in Poitiers at 14.00. (its near the University)

If anyone wants to come along we are meeting up at Mac Donalds on the N10 (near Auchan) around 12.30 - 13.00.

Be there.

• 2 months later...

[quote user="Brilec"]So, what's the latest on this? I see MAG in the UK are getting very hot under the collar over the proposals which THEY currently report as bikers to wear dayglow ban on filtering ban on all bikes over 7 years old from all urban areas.[/quote]

What!!?? [:-))]

Only applies to red VFRs, Sid.....[:P]

It's all about the pollution free urban zones that they are planning to introduce like they have in Germany.  They are looking at a three year trial project involving nine cities where vehicles will have to be Euro emissions compliant in order to enter the zone.

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/spip.php?page=article&id_article=22322

Clearly a bit of an over-reaction on the part of MAG......

• 4 weeks later...