Velosolex wanted - preferably complete, Charente area

Etoile

Pierre's link only displays ads from Poitou-Charentes so how do they all seem to be at the other end of the country?

If you refine the search by selecting Motos as the category, you'll suppress all the odds and ends and end up with 58 ads for the bikes themselves.  If you then modify the search to just Charente, then you'll get a dozen bikes local to you.....[;-)]

http://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/offres/poitou_charentes/charente/?f=a&th=1&q=solex

All the bikes that are not a lot of money seem to be in other parts of France, at the present time. Of course I can narrow it to this area but people ask a lot of money for things on that site, then they appear again and again because they do not sell. The last Velosolex I bought was through Angloinfo, 60 Euros for a runner. I am prepared to pay a bit more than that though!

I've seen them at vide-greniers and brocantes around here, usually around 100€ and wondered about getting one myself, but then decided that I'd probably spend 3 or 4 times that amount doing it up! As if I haven't got enough to do already! [:D]

They used to be so common, but now I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

It is a shame that they are so rare now. They are ideal cheap transport, and the small effort of registration must surely be well worth it.

On the matter of restoration, I bought two from a scrap yard last month and one of them turned out to be a 45 from 1949! I thought a lot of parts would need replacing but I have got the wheels looking good now against the odds. I also bought a 1700 last week on Angloinfo which is rideable. I sneaked out under cover of heavy rain with no number plate and a plastic hood for a helmet. Pedalled home though - she needs a service!

My plan is to do my part for these great little machines by buying them 'as is' and restorating them to sell.

[quote user="sid"] ... now I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.[/quote]

The last one I saw on the road was my grandfather's. One of my cousins did use it for a time after Grandfather died but when I last saw it, it was all forlone in the garage whilst the house was waiting to be sold.

I remember being on holiday at my Grandparents and going to the market in the nearby town-about 4kms, being given a little cushion to sit at the back on the solex and being told 'Tiens bon, y a 2 sous de bonbons au bout de la route!' (Hold on tight, there's 2p worth of sweets at the end of the road) All in the days of  :  no child seat, no seat belt, no helmet [:D] My Grandmother was following on her bicycle way back ... well [:$] one happens to know one's priority [:D]

No one thought of this solex as a piece of great value other than the value of very many happy memories we had as children.