With all this doom and gloom

Bugsy

When you compare it to the link you posted Bugbear (think it was you) of the guys late fathers road trip in the 50's it would seem that the word adventure has become somewhat devalued.

I didnt watch all of it but what I saw was a group flying to Spain whilst their bikes were transported by van, did it follow them as support for the whole trip?, then staying in a Hôtel after travelling only 150 miles with the bikes cossetted in the reception.

OK I am not suggesting that anyone in this modern day and age should do such a trip without a mobile or satellite phone if only to call the breakdown recovery service which again you would be daft not to subscribe to, its just none of these things were available to the group in the 50's, I got the impression that they did not consider it an adventure just the means to take a holiday on the continent.

I recall seeing a long time ago before I came to france some programmes on Sky, "mondo enduro" or something about a group of bikers riding around the world, a teacher by the name of Austin IIRC, I am sure they did it a second time also as they failed to qualify for the Guinness book of records, then the luvvies  Ewan and Charlie pretended to do the same thing but followed by a full film crew, trailers, catering wagons etc or so it seemed.

I would love to see the mondo enduro series again.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Bugsy"]Spend a while watching this.

16 day trip to Morroco

I'm probably too old now to attempt that myself [:D] but what an adventure.

[/quote]

We are never too old Bugsy [:D] Ted Simon of Jupiters Travels fame did a second 'round the world' trip aged 74.  

Morroco is a fantastic country for bikers. I have been lucky enough to visit there on three seperate occasions. A lot of the pistes are being made into metalled roads now which is a pity for off road bikers but not the locals.

I intend to get back there sometime but will probably take my Guzzi California and stick to the main roads which still offer incredible scenary. Spring or Autumn are the best times to visit as the Summer can be unbearably hot.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I would love to see the mondo enduro series again.

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beEXfEdpDrk

[quote user="Devon"]

We are never too old Bugsy [:D] Ted Simon of Jupiters Travels fame did a second 'round the world' trip aged 74.  

[/quote]

Arthritis, knee ops, deafness and the loss of my 'bum-padding' is my limiting factor Devon [:D][:D]

That said we do have a Northern Spain - Portugal trip planned for May. [Www][:D]

Modern day painkillers are wonderful things, don't you think. ?

[quote user="Théière"]

I thought you became totally numb after a few hours in the saddle [;-)]

[/quote]

I have a Gel-insert in my seat (the bike seat, not mine) and also have a sheepskin cover, all of which helps but doesn't solve the problem.

I am thinking of getting one of these to try as they do have good reports about them.

Thanks for the link to the Mondo enduro promo Bugsy, it brought back a lot of memories.

Its when I see something like that that I have to begrudgingly admit that I do miss UK television despite whatever I may have posted in the past, there I have said it!!

By god it feels good to have finally come out of the closet [:D]

I dont just miss it, I miss it a lot!!

Mind you I am sure if i once again have a Sky system and perhaps access to some premium channels for a few months then I will find that all the good stuff is still being repeated.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Strange as I will be watching a Doku on 3Sat at 20:15 on a bike trip in Peru, Bolivia and Chile.

http://www.tvtoday.de/programm/detail/?format=supersize&sid=107024495402&idx=1&width=1012&height=530#

http://www.3sat.de/programm/#1930

[/quote]

Shame i cant get german TV, and they have deep blue on afterwards [:(] I bloomin well saw the last 5 seconds of it last night [:(]

The pictures were great and brought back many memories, Lago Titicaca, Copacabana etc, I recognised the sand dunes but cant recall from where, just over the border into Chilé perhaps, the name St Pedro D'atacama rings a bell.