UK motorcycle - whether I should register in France

Mally

Hi there

I'm about to buy a new motorbike in the UK - I may well end up spending up to a year living in Paris (duration unknown at this stage and possibly in three months time), I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers for - can anyone help me please?

1. Am I correct in thinking I could ride a GB registered motorcycle in France for up to six months?

2. If so, would the six month limit reset if I were to visit another country and come back in to France?

3. If I need to get French plates, would I need to pay TVA if I paid VAT in UK? I believe there's a rule about if the bike is older than six months old (or is it that I have owned it for more than six months myself?), and it has done more than 6,000 km (is it one or other, or both?) then I wouldn't have to?

4. Does anyone have experience of re-importing back to UK after getting French plates? (is it easier as the bike originated in UK?!)

Many thanks for any help - sorry if what I've written is a bit confusing!

Malcolm

[quote user="Mally"]Hi there

I'm about to buy a new motorbike in the UK - I may well end up spending up to a year living in Paris (duration unknown at this stage and possibly in three months time), I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers for - can anyone help me please?

The requirements for registering a motorbike are really little different to registering a car.

1. Am I correct in thinking I could ride a GB registered motorcycle in France for up to six months?

Only if you are non resident and if you are working here then you will be deemed to be so by default. As a resident you are required to register within 1 month.

2. If so, would the six month limit reset if I were to visit another country and come back in to France?

No, it's 6 months in any 12 so if you kept it in France for 6 months then you have to remove it for at least 6 months.

3. If I need to get French plates, would I need to pay TVA if I paid VAT in UK? I believe there's a rule about if the bike is older than six months old (or is it that I have owned it for more than six months myself?), and it has done more than 6,000 km (is it one or other, or both?) then I wouldn't have to?

The rule is 6 months and 6000km but it's unlikely that anybody would check the mileage. Beyond that and there is no TVA to pay. Strictly speaking you are supposed to have owned it for the 6 months but I don't think it's too much of an issue if you haven't. As you are coming over in 3 months time though you might find it advantageous to buy tax free in UK and pay the TVA in France. It's marginally higher than VAT but sidesteps all the potential hassle of being being charged TVA and then trying to reclaim the VAT.

4. Does anyone have experience of re-importing back to UK after getting French plates? (is it easier as the bike originated in UK?!)

You will have no problems at all re-registering in UK.

Many thanks for any help - sorry if what I've written is a bit confusing!

Malcolm[/quote]

Or buy something in France.

OK it's likely to cost you more than the equivalent in UK but by the same token you'll get more back if you sell it in France when you leave and being French registered you'll have no worries about TVA and possible registration hiccups.

True but that only relates to the extension of the level of cover you have in the UK, presumably comprehensive for a new bike or one of any significant value.

You will always be covered for minimum 3rd party risks for the full term of the policy regardless, all motor insurance contracts written in the EU make this provision by law.

I have found new bikes to be cheaper in France.

A just bought a new Honda Hornet and cost me 6690 Euros which is equivalent to 5575 pounds by todays rate. Standard price with no deals.

A new Honda hornet in the UK is 6550 pounds.

I saved 975 pounds and that more than pays for registering the bike in the UK when you return.