Just a thought

BIG MAC

I have a 'spare' Fazer...sitting doing nowt...costing me nothing and quietly rotting away in the UK

I quite fancy taking it over France side and restoring it in what will be a nice workshop once done...

Am I going to run foul of laws if its out of the country for a couple of years or is it ok just to SORN it?

I am just wondering if I have to export it and reimport it...if that was the case I would just register it in France...as its only a 600 and already has KPH on the speedo..would this be a pain and more expense than the old girl is worth?

Export it so there's no more UK annual road tax, MOT or continuous insurance to pay.

Restore it to its former glory in your nice workshop.

Register it here. If it's over ten years old, then 200€ should cover the Yamaha type approval attestation and the carte grise fee. No annual fees/taxes to pay after that.

Ride it.

When you're sick of it, flog it on Leboncoin for twice what it'd be worth back in the UK.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Export it so there's no more UK annual road tax, MOT or continuous insurance to pay.

[/quote]

I thought insurance would be required here at least for 3rd party risks, even if the bike is off the road, in case the bike is for example stolen and then involved in an accident? 

True, but a bit moot given that Big Mac's 'rotting' bike is likely to be reduced to its constituent parts whilst undergoing the restoration.

In the UK, they enforce continuous insurance by issuing warning letters and fines for vehicles which show up on the motor insurance database as uninsured.  In France, they don't....[;-)]