2 questions - expert advice please!

pouyade

1 In a recent edition of MCN, it states that motorcycles in France are limited to 100bhp. OH and BiL are off last minute (see below!) for a 5 day ride around France with bikes which are over that limit. Is the article accurate and are there restriction on non French registered machines too?

2 The opportunity for the trip has just arisen and, as between now and the start of the trip OH is canoeing the length of the Thames for charity and BiL is working away from home, tis I (who will never, ever goes on the b bike) who has been asked to research possible routes/ itineraries. They would like to visit a very hilly region or even mountains leaving Coquelles lunchtme day 1 and returning there 5 days later. Any links to good web sites which might assist me or ideas of particular area which would be generally suitable? The Alps and Pyrenees are obvious ones, though the latter is perhaps too far for this trip. I wondered of there were less obvious, interesting places? All help most gratefully received.............

Pouyade

I stand to be corrected but if the bikes are road legal in the UK, they are legal in France for a visitor.

Other options for the ride out Central Massif - starts the other side (western side) of the Rhone valley from the Alps and could be included with them.

Ardèche roads are very twisty and if this is what is being looked for, then something like St.Etienne to Valence cross country or Le Puy en Velay to Valence - and then on to the Alps.

I thought that the restriction had been lifted. It's not a problem for my bike anyway, so I haven't kept track of developments. I've just tried to Google it but not found anything definitive yet.

BUT it doesn't apply to foreign bikes here on tour for example.

I still can't find anything definite. "puissance" "bridage" "motos" brings up lots of complaints about France not complying with the rest of EU, but we've heard all that before. There's asuggestion that it may end from Jan2013.

Anyway, the original OP will be OK for a tour.