Which Camera?

naps

Not sure if this has been posted before elsewhere, but having seen so many wonderful photo's - I've got to ask, "Which camera do you use, what are it's good points and what are it's bad points?"

Approx. 15 years ago, I got one of the first Canon EOS cameras for a photography course and loved it.  It took me another 12 years to be convinced that I should change to digital and I've never looked back - currently using an almost 4 year old Olympus Camedia C-720.

I hinted that I'd like the modern digital version of the Canon EOS, and now the OH says I can have one if I want [:-))]

Is there anyone out there using one, or anyone who can point to something better?

[:$]  Sorry.

However, I've tried search - and it doesn't seem to be working - I entered "Which camera", pressed search and it brings up a new window, everytime I enter the same search option into this new window and ask it to search the whole forum, it comes back to the same blank window [:(].  I've also looked through the 4 pages of the photography section and can't find it.

Can anyone direct me to the thread.  Pleeeease.

Mia culpa - sorry Bugbear recommended it

Actually bought a Cannon Ixus 60 as it is small and takes good pics although I haven't played with it much yet. We take it shopping with us when looking for new stuff. We took these yesterday, on auto and with 'shop' lighting

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/Posbasin.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/Norfolkbath1.jpg[/IMG]

Battery hasn't needed recharging yet

I think maybe R/H you meant this site

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=casio_exz3%2Cfuji_finepixv10&show=all

Which I referred to in the thread Christine mentions - yes?  It's very good to do side-by-side comparisons with.  I'm glad you're happy with the one you settled on - photographing through glass is a good test of its capabilities.

You can't go far wrong with any of the Canon EOS if your looking for a digital SLR, there are a good range of lens, you just have to watch which lens mount it has as not all lens fit all cameras, I've only got the 350D but invested in 2 good lens and am happy so far[:)] Saying that I've just bought the PanasonicDMC-FX50 which has a Leica lens and is a great small pocket camera (has the widest angle lens of compact cameras) which I take with me to record our renovation work as I don't always have time to fanny about changing lens[;-)]

I know nothing about Canons but it may be that you can also use your current film-camera EOS lenses with the digital version.  This is what I've been able to do with my Nikon.  Could save you a quid or two in lens costs, or enable you to buy one with a different focal length with your new (camera!) body.

If you already have a range of Canon EF lenses then I can recommend the 350D which is still in production despite the release of the 400D. I use both EF and EFS lenses on my camera with good results. There is a slight tendency to flare on the older lenses due to reflections from the sensor due to the sensor being much more reflective than film. The more modern lenses are designed to cope with this but I have only found this at all noticeable when shooting into the sun to take sunsets. Over time the magazine reviews seem to see-saw between Canon, Nikon, etc depending on recent releases but one of the UK Digital SLR Camera magazines has just reviewed a whole range of SLRs and basically made the point that you won't go far wrong with any of the cameras from the major manufacturers. If you are looking at something more upmarket then a colleague has the EOS5D and is also very impressed with it - she is a far more accomplished photographer than me and her photos are amazing.

If you want to review a selection of pictures from different cameras then on www.flickr.com it is possible to select images based on the camera model used. Some of the pics are available at full resolution.

I think that you will find that ALL Canon lenses do not fit ALL Canon DSLR bodies. You really have to check. Not sure about Nikons. As for which is the best camera, I have a leaning towards Canon having used them for many years. My  first Canon was a F1 and it is still in use regularly although I have several others.Finally remember the camera is only a tool not an end in itself.

Hold on - these things always seem to go the same way, as a discussion about 'my favourite camera'.

That isn't important. What is important is that the photographer is comfortable with the camera, and that has to be an intuitive reaction to holding and handling all the possible candidates. It can be pretty safely assumed that most cameras today take pictures which are technically acceptable - next step is to check reviews just in case. Then price levels, remembering that there are always secondhand Nikon and Canon lenses to be had in good condition.

Then - it is down to the photographer and their eye, trained by looking at the work of good or great photographers and reading about composition and cropping.

Always remember the Bert Hardy principle...

Thank you all for the additional information, my heart says Canon EOS Digital and knowing that I just may be able to use a lens from my old Canon is an absolute bonus.  I think I'll take the old lens with me while I shop!

[quote user="Dick Smith"] What is important is that the photographer is comfortable with the camera, and that has to be an intuitive reaction to holding and handling all the possible candidates. It can be pretty safely assumed that most cameras today take pictures which are technically acceptable - next step is to check reviews just in case. Then price levels, remembering that there are always secondhand Nikon and Canon lenses to be had in good condition.

Then - it is down to the photographer and their eye, trained by looking at the work of good or great photographers and reading about composition and cropping.

Always remember the Bert Hardy principle...
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, I learnt with a Canon EOS and hopefully will get back to using the more modern digital version very soon.

Coppi

You are correct - the FD lenses (manual focus) that you use on the F1 will not fit the EOS digital cameras but the EF auto focus lenses introduced around 20 years ago when Canon first brought in auto focus will - although there may be the odd exception.

I still have my A1 and a range of FD lenses that I kept when I moved to digital but they just don't get used. The sensible thing to do is to sell but I can't bring myself to part with them.

There are third party adaptors available to mount the FD lenses onto EOS bodies but they either don't allow focus to infinity or have a correction lens fitted which in general means quality is poor.  Canon made an adaptor when the EOS system was first introduced but it was for long focal length lenses and is very expensive (and hard to find) second hand.

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

[/quote]

Or simply, be daring enough to experiment!![;-)]

Daryl

[/quote]

Always best to experiment from a basis of knowledge...

[quote user="naps"]

Thank you all for the additional information, my heart says Canon EOS Digital and knowing that I just may be able to use a lens from my old Canon is an absolute bonus.  I think I'll take the old lens with me while I shop!

[/quote]

I have a Canon 300D and love it. I had the EOS film version prior to that and use the lenses from that with no problem although you do not get the full aspect of the old lenses focal length (e.g. 35mm equates to about 50mm for reasons I can't remember but they made sense at the time). If you want to see some examples of photos produced by the 300D you can see some of mine at http://web.mac.com/ronbannell

[quote user="Dick Smith"]The reason for the difference is the size differential between a 35mm frame and a photo-sensor array, I believe.

Are you using Safari?

[/quote]

Yes, is that why the quote came out as gibberish?