I can't find justice in France - it would not happen in England

greenfingers

unthinkable here (I live part time in Canada)

never had a problem with a bank

if a mistake is made - money into wrong account - one phone call suffices to fix the problem.

I keep my money here and drip them into my French bank account.  The largest sum we deposited was 40K euro.

Good bank, the french postal office!  so far no problems, no disappearing funds, no imaginary checks, all it well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="greenfingers"]Mine was, is the person that took the money a co-signatory to the account or a co-account holder and are/were they your partner?

NO they wasn't a co-signatory to my account and NO they wasn't a co-account holder, and they are not my partner.

It was my personal bank account in my name ONLY.

The Bank had no authority to move my money.[/quote]

I don't propose re-reading the entire thread but I think if you had made this clear in the very beginning many of the comments could likely have been avoided.

I've been reading this thread with interest and puzzlement and I too have not been convinced we have all the story. For instance, finding out where the money was sent is still proving very difficult. That fact could be crucial - it could have been taken by the government to pay taxes or a fine (I bet Jerome Kervial will have a few unauthorised debits to pay back his 4.9bn !). But the OPs postings are so obscure it is difficult to advise.

In my experience it is usually the critical fact that is carefully avoided that provides a solution. Come on greenfingers, give us the full story.

This is what I was hinting at earlier.

We've seen several cases on here of people having their accounts blocked by the bank, and money taken out to pay bills, fines etc. Banks can do that here.

Or as happened to someone I know, they became bankrupt and the bank sequestered their account and put a ? lien on their house.

All sorts of things can happen in France where by money can be taken quite legally by all sorts of people. ie If you have too much money in your account for too long not having invested it, then it can be taken by the government.

This case, however sounds like something very louche has gone on. I will keep saying, why aren't you onto something with a bit of punch like newspapers? I would be. I'd be screaming blue murder, I'd have it on youtube too, me telling my story. I would make someone do something NOW!

[quote user="idun"]If you have too much money in your account for too long not having invested it, then it can be taken by the government.[/quote]Sorry but you're not getting away with that without some legal authority or 1st hand verifiable evidence [:'(]

I am a VIce President and Banker in the U.S. and although I am sure banking 'practices' may be different here, I can assure that the bank has a trail of what happened to the funds. Now adays, funds transfers are electronic so the bank has a record. If you let the bank know that you know that's how it works, then you can insist on obtaining a copy of the transaction. Many banks assume the average consumer is not aware of how banking transactions occur and therefore take advantage of their limited knowledge by telling you they can not trace the transaction. This is simply not true!

One of the major problems with this thread is that we only have one side of the story.  Whilst what the OP said may be true, it's only his/her take on the issue.  We don't know ehether some local or central governmental body took a lein on the money and until we heard the other side, it's difficult to comment.

As for the comment on having money in the bank too long, sounds like an apero story or bar chat, where's the backing for that one?

Each week a group of us nanas from our village used to meet up. Apart from two of us, a french lady and me the other ladies were from the village. Marie, who I had known by sight since I had been in the village started to come along. Probably in her 70's and a widow. And a widow who under the 'old' laws had had her kids she insist that she sell her house when her husband died quite a number of years ago. She is rather BCBG and living in genteel poverty now.

It was Marie who spoke about someone, everyone from the village knew and that for the second time, this lady was going to have a big lump sum taken from her account.

My ears pricked up, that can't be right I said, and no one else said it wasn't and wanted to know what Mme X was playing at letting this happen again. So my friends were not even shocked, that it was happening, but annoyed that this woman was letting it happen again.

The following week I was all questions, had she owed taxes of any sort or had unpaid debts, the answer to that was no. I got no further with my interogating, only that this did happen in France and 'qu'est-ce tu veux!' followed by gallic shrugs. Not one soul said that 'they couldn't do this'.

I even asked my bank manager about it and he said, no, this would not happen, but then said that they could get the money back later, then he shrugged and the entretien was over.

So does this happen? Well, I know that the french govt will reopen an account and put it in debit to get their money if they 'think' that a person owes that money. The french govt does lots of things which I would call 'odd'.

I'll ask next time I am speaking to folks and see if I can find out what happened.

Not particularly relevant to this thread but I recall another post where the local French bank manager moved a large sum from the client's current account into a notice savings account in order to give the client an improved rate of interest.  All the best intentions of course, but not too helpful when that large sum was due to make its way imminently to a Notaire for the completion of a house purchase.

I think andyh4 is overlooking a couple of things. 

First: a dormant account is one where the bank acknowledges that the money belongs to the customer - it just can't find the customer. 

Second: the UK law gives the customer protection, in that if he does finally turn up, he has the right to get his money back.

The idea that your money can be taken just because it's been in the bank too long is pure nonsense, in Britain as in France.  If someone thinks he knows that it's happened, please let's have all the facts, and nothing but the facts.

• 7 months later...