Digital SLR

Thinking about buying one. Been using a Canon G3 4mega pixels camera for the past 5 years and it is a fantastic camera, but I now need to move up the ladder and get a more professional one for work etc.

Am looking at the Canon EOS 1000d. Has anyone had any experience with it? Or can anyone recommend a good digital SLR for under €500?

I do like the Canon's as I am familiar with them and know their qualities.

I too use a Nikon Digital SLR semi-professionally, and find it excellent. However, the original poster prefers Canon, which is used by many professionals and is equally good. This looks like a good deal, though you would probably need to have it sent to an address in Britain and forwarded to you.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=104361

I think the decision to go with either Nikon or Canon (or any other DSLR manufacturer) comes down to personal choice in many ways unless you already have an investment in lenses.

eg. if you have a range of Canon lenses it would be natural to protect that investment but  if you are starting from scratch it doesn't really matter. Have a look at reviews

DPREVIEW are generally recognised as a good source.

Try and handle the camera and see how the controls suit you. Don't get caught up in megapixel battles.

And as I went to order it, another €200 found its way out of my account and the 1000d became the 450d. Even happier.

Although shipping I am not so happy with as the site claimed next day delivery via chronopost. Should have received it Saturday and they didn't even send it until then. Grrr. Then tracking it, it was in Orleans (just 90 mins away), two hours later it's in their depo in Paris. Hello! You're going the wrong way!

Don't forget tht if you have a old 'film' SLR Canon with red spot lenses (the spot you use to line it up when fitting the lens) you can use them on your new camera. The red spot ones go for much cheaper prices on Ebay as well, I have bought quite a few including a big telephoto lens (£90) and it works fine.

I had an EOS film SLR and certainly the lens from that have red spots and work OK. There is a slight difference in focal length but you hardly notice.

The only thing I find frustrating is the flash, it's not so good and decent one costs quite a few hundred pounds.

We've just picked up a generic flash off ebay for not a lot of money. Not expecting miracles from it, but as we have a separate flash on a tripod stand with umbrella (for the life of me, can't think what it's called), we're hoping that will work for our needs. All the flash needs to do is to trigger the flash on the stand.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]we have a separate flash on a tripod stand with umbrella (for the life of me, can't think what it's called[/quote]

We always called them 'brollies'. [geek] Or do you mean 'slave'?

If you don't want the flash on the camera to affect your piccies I'd suggest directing away from the lens axis. If (as on most cameras) there's no bounce position you could try positioning a little mirror or summat to reflect the light up. It will still trigger the slave but not risk specular reflections in glass or shiny metal surfaces.

• 1 month later...