Offer on a house

rmelrose

Recently my family went to see a house we liked it so we put an offer almost straight away.

I spoke in French my level good its not perfect.

They accepted the offer and asked me to justify why it was below the asking price. I told them the work that would have to be done and that I thought the offer was fair.

I waited for 2 weeks and heard nothing when I finally I got my friend to call as he is french and I figured he could quiz them better.

They told him that the house was sold for the asking price and that they told me this when I put the offer in. Now my french is reasonable and the person I spoke to didn't tell me the house was sold or that there was an offer on it.

I feel I was hard done by because I'm an etranger.

I understood that once I put in an offer that nobody else could put one in at the same time.

I always use my french friend to ask for viewings as otherwise they don't bother to call me back.

All because they are feed up of property tourist from the UK.

[quote user="rmelrose"]I understood that once I put in an offer that nobody else could put one in at the same time. [/quote]

I don't know about that, when we were looking the Mairie's assistant was more than happy to gazump the previous offer in our "property tourist from the UK favour".

Lower offers are always a risk on either side of La Manche

If no paperwork has been started/completed, then the sellers are at liberty to take a better offer. If an agent is involved, afaik the sellers have to accept an offer it is it the full asking price.

BTW when my house was for sale, a low offer came in due to work that the would be buyer wanted to do. My reply was this is work that you want to do rather than work that needs to be done. Eg lower the price so Mrs wannabe buyer can have a new kitchen!

[quote user="Gardener"]If no paperwork has been started/completed, then the sellers are at liberty to take a better offer. If an agent is involved, afaik the sellers have to accept an offer it is it the full asking price. BTW when my house was for sale, a low offer came in due to work that the would be buyer wanted to do. My reply was this is work that you want to do rather than work that needs to be done. Eg lower the price so Mrs wannabe buyer can have a new kitchen![/quote]

AFAIK, the sellers don't have to accept the offer but, depending on their mandat, they might have to pay the agent's fees even if they decide not to go ahead with the sale.

Just to explain further, I placed the offer by fax. I was told by friend that when you place an offer by fax it's legally binding. They cannot accept any offers until my bidding has closed. Normally they would give me a counter offer. I believe this is to stop bidding wars. I believe that if someone had put the offer in before me they should not have accepted my offer. That's why I feel hard done by. I suppose I could ask to see the other offer which would have had to be sent by fax or post to be official. It's the principle really I don't like being given the brush off because I'm not French.

[quote user="rmelrose"]I placed the offer by fax. I was told by friend that when you place an offer by fax it's legally binding. They cannot accept any offers until my bidding has closed....I suppose I could ask to see the other offer which would have had to be sent by fax or post to be official[/quote]Your friend told you wrong then so perhaps your ire and indignation is better directed at him/her. And what's this 'bidding' you speak of ?

Offers do not have to be faxed or posted to be official nor do you have any right to see them if they were.

The fact is that however made a seller does not even have to respond to a less than full price offer and is certainly under no obligation whatsoever to negotiate with you nor inform you of other offers they may have received.

If you were serious about buying and the seller did accept your offer then you should have gone straight to the Notaire and organised a compromis because until that has been signed neither party is committed to anything.

And it's nothing to do with you not being French BTW, other than by not being so you did not understand the process.

Better luck next time [;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Gardener"]If no paperwork has been started/completed, then the sellers are at liberty to take a better offer. If an agent is involved, afaik the sellers have to accept an offer it is it the full asking price. BTW when my house was for sale, a low offer came in due to work that the would be buyer wanted to do. My reply was this is work that you want to do rather than work that needs to be done. Eg lower the price so Mrs wannabe buyer can have a new kitchen![/quote]

AFAIK, the sellers don't have to accept the offer but, depending on their mandat, they might have to pay the agent's fees even if they decide not to go ahead with the sale.

[/quote]

Quite correct. I was merely submitting my reply in the context of the question to shed some possible light on why the sellers had sold to someone who had offered the full asking price.