Canon cameras

Jonzjob

A

couple of years back Santa was very kind to me and I had a wonderful

early Krimble pressy of a Canon DSLR 500D with a Canon stabilised 18

-200 lens. It goes almost everywhere with me and in that time I have

taken well over 6000 photos. I was shocked just over a week ago when the

lens started to play up and the telephoto mechanism started to stick

and play up. I checked up on line and found that it was a known problem.

Rather than contact Canon Fr. I phoned Canon U.K. and spoke to a

very helpful guy in Scotland who gave me the contact details for France

and said if I ddn't get the service to let him know and he would get it

sent back to them for the service. I contacted Canon in Paris and spoke

to a very helpful lady there, who spoke very good English, and got the

details for sending it to them.

Off I went to our village 'Agence

du La Poste' and was greeted with the instaltion of a new computer

system and I would have to return later, but wait a minute? If I leave

it with the lady she would get it away as soon as the new kit was

installed and I could go in the following morning to pay! This I did.

Wonderful places villages aren't they

This

was last Friday. This lunch time the gate bell went and there was a

courrier with my repaired lens! Total cost to me was the 9€ it cost me

to post it to Paris.

Now, that's what I call service   I will phone Canon Paris and say a very big thank you. I am lost so many times without my camera!

I love my Canon 400D, even though I only have a crappy standard lens with it.

I was very worried last year when I was taking lots of action shots and on the continuous shooting setting. I kept getting error messages when shooting more than 5 shots at a time. I stopped using this feature, and thought I'd have to send the camera to be repaired.

The other day, I took my camera out but forgot my card, so had to buy another one (was really angry at myself, it cost $20 just for a 4gb card).

Anyway, I shoved it in, and started taking continous shots again, not thinking about it. It was only after a while I realised that everything was ok, so it must have been my old card that had an issue. So now I don't have to send my camera back, and will instead spend the money (when I get it) on a decent lens. Any suggestions on the lens?

As you already know it's the lens that makes the camera. Good camera, bad lens = inferior results.

I would recommend the lens I have to anyone. The Canon EFS 18-200. Stabilised and it works very well. It allows you to take hand held photos at much lower shutter speed that you would normally, even on 200mm. More expensive than the generic, but you get what you pay for..

One thing that I have done for a very long time now is to fit a UV filter on the lens. It is there just to protect it and if it does get knocked and damaged it is a hell of a lot cheaper to replace. It doesn't effect your photos to any extent either.

I have just bought 2 new 8 gig mem cards a short while back after I had the shock of finding the original 16 gig card had started to physically split open. I super glued it back together again and it still works, but it needed to be replaced! Lexar Pro Class 10 and super fast!

This is about as cheap as I have found it so far, but no doubt there is somewhere cheeper??

http://www.amazon.fr/Canon-EF-S-18-200mm-3-5-5-6-IS/dp/B001E97GIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334073086&sr=8-1

And for once it's cheaper than on Amazon U.K.! But the info on there is easier, for me at least, to read in English and some good feedback info at the bottom of the page..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001E97GIA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1