Red squirrels

val douest

For the past two months or so we have been visited each morning by red squirrels.  The first one arrived during a spell of cold weather and tucked in to the sunflower seeds in the mix scattered under the bird table for the ground-feeding birds.  He was quickly followed by another and now some mornings we have five of them together - not actually as nice as it sounds as they spend most of their time chasing each other away rather than eating.  I have tried adding other nuts and seeds to their feeding stations (now under two well separated trees, to prevent squabbles and leave the birds in peace) but apart from very occasional pine nuts which are far too expensive to be more than a treat, they seem to prefer the sunflower seeds.  Any nuts in shells are immediately taken away and secreted somewhere for a rainy day….and talking about rainy days, if it is very wet then the biggest and boldest squirrel simply climbs on to the bird table and eats his fill from the sunflower seeds in the hopper!  

Does anyone know whether they are likely to keep coming through the Spring or Summer months, and whether the female is likely to bring her young with her before they become quite independent?   I don't know very much about their behaviour and habits through the year.  They are so pretty to watch and although not at all tame they are becoming a little less inclined to rush off at the slightest disturbance.  I will try to add a picture though this is my first attempt at posting one, so here goes….

[IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc147/valeriewest/Redsquirrel1.jpg[/IMG]